Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scofeild report 4/9-4/11
ok the ice is completly gone and the fish are extremely hungry. we got up there friday at about 4:30 pm to a blizzard snow storm had the whole lake socked in. by 5pm there was nothing but some medium wind we had to deal with. this was a couples weekend for our group so we all met up down on the point of the property spread out and tried some fishing it seemed the girls was having all the luck by dark the score was girls 10 fish boys 2 fish. so back at the cabin all we heard all night was " HOW GIRLS RULE AND BOYS DREWL" and how bad they had handed our asses to us well over several hours of coctails and laughs a friendly head count was taken and just so happened we had 8 girls 8 boys and a little matter of who was cooking breakfast????? hmmmmmmm can ya see where this is going??????? OHHH YAAAA BABYYYYY ITS A FISH OFF..... heres how the rules went it was girls agaist guys could fish from 6am til 9am whoever had the most fish at 9am losers had to make breakfast.... well lets just say we talked alot of crap around the pot belly that night and lets just say THEM GIRLS WERE OUT FOR BLOOD!!!!!!!!! car keys were missing alarm clocks were tampered with and there was coffee in the pots when we awoke they were all gone. my wife was not sleeping by my side as she was when i went to bed???? was i dreaming did we all really just get clowned by our wives??? and how did they sneak out without us hearing them???? well when we all finnally got down to the point our wives had a three fish lead and laughing about how they had gotten over on us and how good there breakfast was going to be... but there was about a inch of new snow and it was snowing good by 7:30 am the snow was gone and just a mild cold wind as the girls one by one started to funnel to trucks to get warm us boys just kept reeeling them in and by 8:30 am it was boys 20 fish girls 9 and boy were we talking it up. we decided that we had enough and headed back to the cabin for our well earned breakfast. what a great time saterday was windy and tried to snow on and off all day we all just stayed at the cabin most of us suffered from that self inflicted flu this morning i got up at 6 and went and fished it was a very nice day had four nice trout in about 30 mins. went back packed up and came home had a great trip with our wives and alot of good memorys.

Big Jim
[signature]
JJ-
Sounds like a great weekend with the Girls. Also glad to hear you boys didn't have to come home with your tails between your legs. Way to come through when it counted. What side of the lake were you fishing, what were you using?, and how deep were you fishing? Cuts or Bows? Any big ones? I'm heading up with my dad who is coming in from out of state on tuesday so just wondering what to plan for. Thanks for the info!
Bigcat
[signature]
we fished the west side of the lake theres a rock point just north of the west beach we were on my buddy private ground there fishing a night crawler small split shot only out about fifteen to 20 feet from shore. they were mixed bag of native cuts and football rainbows had two big fish break me off the biggest i landed was a 3 1/2 22 cut. id fish the west beach shore angler were doing well there. stay in close to the shore the fish are swimming the shoreline.

Big jim
[signature]
JJ-
We were going to take the float tubes but it sounds like we could do just as well from the shore.... Shouldn't have to fight off any crouds on tuesday. Thanks for the info!
Bigcat
[signature]
ya id leave the tubes home great shore fishing right now and some real big fish lots of small 7 inch rainbows but the bigger bows are about 18" and just footballs i havnt seen a spring with better looking fish than this year up there. keep me posted on how you did tuesday wish you a good trip!

Big Jim
[signature]
I was probably only 50 yards from where you fished (rocky point). I had similar succes with a spinner. What day were you there?
[signature]
we got there friday night fished friday night saturday morning and sunday morning. a friend of mine owns that cabin there i have a key to the gate drive right down on his point it some of the best fishing.

big JiM
[signature]
It sounds like you guys had a great weekend, thanks for sharing. Did anyone catch a fish over three pounds? WH2
[signature]
i lost two big big fish that broke me off. i did land a large native cut on sunday morning that was 22 inches and went about 3 1/2 pounds and had a head of a 5 pounder push minnows up and boil not 5 feet off the shore right in front of me the cutrouts up there this time of year are usually long snakes but not this year they looking good lots of fat fish.

Big Jim
[signature]
If its the same point that I think it is, his property has half and scofield west has the other half. I've got a place in Scofield west and was just on the other side of the fence from ya[Wink].. Wish I would have known, I could have at least said hello. I'm heading down again this weekend, how bout you? Let me know when you are planning on heading up, I'll keep an eye out for you.. You are right, that point is sweet. Only trouble is, so many people ignore the "private property" signs (especially in the winter). I always see people parking outside the gate to scofield west and trespass there way down to the lake. Most people don't know that most of Scofields shore line is private and that those property lines follow the water line as it goes up and down. I'd really like to meet you sometime and at least exchange stories and say hello[cool]....
[signature]
Great report! I wish I could have made it over Saturday. Got caught up with the honey do list. I am wondering if you caught any crawdads. When we were up there last week, the dads were picking up the line and holding on until about a foot from shore before letting go. Most of the ones I saw (3 or 4) were about 8 inches long. With all the talk about a crawdad boil on the site, I can't imagine a better place for one. Very plentiful and very large this year.

As for the fish up there. I couldn't agree more. The fish look as healthy and fat as I remember them from 30 years ago fishing with Grandpa. 12 foot alum. with a 6h.p. Evinrude that I still use today. Flat-line trolling frog colored flatfish around the island. Man, those were the days. I know looking back that the fish averaged around 3lbs., but to a young child, they were huge!
[signature]
And heaven forbid just anyone get access to all the private property up around Scofield. That whole mountain is practically private property. It has always bugged me that somebody can own a mountain and tell me I'm not allowed to enjoy the beauty of being on it. The same goes for a lake. I know a lot of idiots trash places but it's not like it's city property. I just don't feel that it's right that a beautiful place where I can go to fish is shut off because of some greedy person that wants to keep it all for themself.
[signature]
my friends family homesteaded that ground hundreds of years ago and they have done alot with it. while there ground might say no trespassing its only because of a few knuckleheads that trashed his cabin broke out the windows and decided to make a fire to get warm with his couches. he also donated the west beach to the state of utah so all us anglers could have our own access. by the way the state dont own that access on the west side its just being borrowed. and how many land owners do you know who has EVER DONATED PUBLIC ACCESS?
[signature]
them fish of the old days sure were nice... who knows maybe its all coming full circle'

Big Jim
[signature]
sounds good to me we will have to get together im not going up this weekend seems wifes got other plans for me ( yardwork) but im planning a trip april 27-29 up there and very possibly some single day trips each week pm me if you ever get a day off during the week its not that far.

Big Jim
[signature]
I'll make sure to keep in touch. My cousin has meet your friend on a few occassions. I heard that the town of Scofield (mini-mart in particular) was dying. The DWR came to your friend and asked for his help. He graciously allowed the DWR to install those fence ladders, which keeps traffic moving through town. Is this true? If so, he seems like quite a generous person. Remember about five years ago when all those campers used to trash the lake front before those fences were installed? Its cool of him to continue to allow the public access even after his land was trashed (pun intended).[Smile] I'll let you know how this weekend goes...
[signature]
thanks we are heading up there in the morning to fish leaving at 6 am should be there by 7:30 or 8 am ill post a report tomorrow and let you know are success.

Big Jim
[signature]
Looking foreward to it Jim.[Wink] Thanks man...
[signature]
Sorry it took so long to post this but life is busy sometimes. We got up to scofield on tuesday. Got there about sun up and fished the west beach as far north as we could go (right at the fence line to the private property). I could see the rock pile you had mentioned. I decided to take my son and my dad along so I left the float tube home. We only caught 3 rainbows (12-14 inches) from the bank in about 4 hours of fishing. I tried everything from a nightcrawler, nightcrawler and marshmellow, salmon eggs, nightcrawler with a little powerbait (red, rainbow, green, yellow), jakes lure, black wooley bugger dragged slowly behind a bubble. You get the point, tried lots of things with little success. My brother did take his tube and he did much better and landed 4 nice fish (3 cuts and 1 bow) between 14-17 inches on a brown leach pattern. He was able to fish some areas with some structure that are holding fish (like near the rock point). I think since all the ice has come off the fish have moved out of the sandy beach area where the water first warmed up to some places with structure and to spawn. There were plenty of retired anglers fishing the east and west beaches with limited success as far as I could tell. I think the places people were catching fish last week at first ice off are not nearly as productive now. Find some structure in fairly shallow water and you'll find some fish. The rock point should still be good. Let me know how you do on thursday. It might be time to get out the boat and hit the island and a few other places. Good luck. Fish on!

Bigcat
[signature]
When I was young that rock point used to be open to the public. I remember standing on the shoreline on opening day, after Scofield had been closed for a couple years after they poisoned it. At just before 4:00 AM, someone shouted that it was close enough to 4:00 and we all made our first cast of the year. It was unbelievable how good the fishing was for a few months after they opened Scofield to fishing again. I remember reading a quote from a DWR employee, in the newspaper, that maybe they had planted too many fish into scofield. I have many fond memories of fishing off of that point.
[signature]