Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Fling
The 14 best places to fish for spawning and staging bass.
by Mark Hicks

When spawning season begins, fishermen have a happy dilemma. Because not all bass spawn simultaneously on any given body of water, you can either head for spawning areas and target bedded bass, or hit staging zones to tempt feeding bass still in their prespawn mode. Either way, there is a host of hotspots to choose from.

Spawners
Bass that have moved onto their beds to spawn offer exciting shallow-water action, including sight-fishing opportunities and the chance to specifically target trophy fish. But casting randomly to the bank won’t get you a lot of action; bass seek optimum habitat in which to deposit their eggs. Here’s what you should be targeting:

Creeks and Coves: The back ends of creeks and coves are good places to find spawners almost anywhere on a lake. But they are especially good when situated along northern banks that receive plenty of sunlight.

Boat Canals: Boat canals warm up quickly and are among the first places to support spawning activity. Target boat docks, the corners of dead-end canals, and any visible cover.

Lily Pad Roots: These plants are dispersed throughout the country and provide excellent cover. Many anglers are unaware that bass commonly spawn on the roots of the pads because they provide the fish with a firm surface on otherwise soft bottoms.

Stumps: Soft silt commonly builds up on shallow flats and banks in the upper reaches of reservoirs, creating a bottom too muddy for spawning. In such waters, fish will spawn on the harder roots or submerged tops of stumps.

Pea-Gravel Banks: Bass love to spawn on hard, clean, pea-gravel bottoms, which are usually most prevalent in creek arms and coves on the lower (or deeper) ends of reservoirs where siltation is less common.

Sandy Holes in Grass: Milfoil, hydrilla, coontail, and other aquatic vegetation can grow thickly on shallow flats and points. Here, sandy spots on the bottom remain open and offer ideal nesting sites.

Flooded Bushes: In reservoirs, spring rains often flood shoreline bushes that were high and dry during the winter drawdown. The firm bottom and protective cover attract spawning bass in droves.

Stagers Coaxing a strike from a fish that’s eyeballing you from its bed can be a challenge. If you’d rather cast to more aggressive bass, or just don’t care to go after spawners, hit the following staging areas for prespawn bass:

Lower Ends of Reservoirs: Bass usually spawn first in the upper reaches of reservoirs, where the lake’s source carries warmer water from spring rains and runoff. So hit the lower, cooler portions closer to the dam, where bass are likely on a prespawn feeding binge.

Main-Lake Bluffs: While some bass are busy spawning in shallow coves, others are intently feeding along bluff banks on the main lake. Look especially for steep banks that drop directly into deep river channels, because stagers prefer areas where they can move quickly between deep and shallow water.

Points: As bass migrate to shallow spawning areas, they often set up and feed on points along the way. Target main-lake points near the mouths of creek arms as well as secondary points in the creek arms themselves.

Creek Channel Banks: The shallow waters of creek arms may attract spawning bass, but the deeper waters along steep banks hold stagers. Look for places where the creek channel bends sharply, then focus on the ledge formed along the outside of the curve.

Grass Flats: Main-lake grass flats are often covered with young, submerged aquatic vegetation that teems with minnows and crayfish. These are prime feeding areas for hungry prespawn bass.

Shaded Creeks and Coves: While creek arms and coves are generally excellent spawning areas, those that are deeply shaded should hold feeding fish. Bass there will tend to remain in the prespawn mode longer.

In Spawning Areas: Even where largemouths are actively spawning, some prespawn fish may be feeding in the same area. Target these fish with aggressive lures, such as spinnerbaits and jerkbaits.
[signature]
Hey tubeN2, What stage are the bass in there in Cali? Here in Nodak the bass are just waking up from their long winter and they have spawning on their mind[cool].
[signature]
They are currently in the "Wild Thang" stage. They are guarding nests now but are very picky as to what they attack. I saw the funniest thing a couple of weeks ago. There was a planter rainbow that was hydro planeing water. I looked about 10ft behind him and there was about a 15lb bass chasing his butt.

They wouldn't hit on any of 12 different trout imitations that I have so I'll have to take out my secret weapon for them. I'll be going out tomorrow to scope in my float tube. We have a tournament next weekend.

The tournament will be strictly float tubes and LMB. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw. Wish me luck.[cool]
[signature]
hey tubeN2, good luck!!! Let us know how you do.[Smile]
[signature]
[cool][#004040][size 2]Hey there TD, Good luck at the tournament. Is that going to be held at the big "C"?[/size][/#004040]
[signature]
lol[laugh]! "hydroplaneing water" Nice choice of words[Wink] I wish the best of luck to you tuben2![cool] CATCH THE NEW WORLD RECORD!! (we can split the money[Tongue])
[signature]
I wish it was but they don't allow tube in the Big C. This will actually be in the Lagoon. It is much safer there anyways. That way they wont use your tube as a speed bump.
[signature]
[#408080][size 2]Hey there TubeN2,[/size][/#408080]

[#408080][size 2][shocked]I can't believe that they charge you $8.00 for parking & $6.00 to launch your tube in the Lagoon. Plus you need a license and have to wear one's PFD. How many surface acre feet is the lagoon? [/size][/#408080]
[signature]
I believe it is about 80 acres. It is quite large for tubing but well worth it on the non windy days. I don't pay the entry fee because I work just around the corner from there at the County FD. They still charge me the launch fee though. That is still $12 for my son and I.
[signature]
good luck there bud wish i could go too.would be fun.
[signature]
It looks like it may be a very windy day. That could put a serious clamp on the tubing action.
[signature]
yeah windy day play havoc on the action might get you a sail and do some trolling.[cool]
[signature]
I was contemplating puting a sail at one time but the Sattellit dish company said that they couldn't guarantee good reception on my tube if I had too many extras on it.[crazy]
[signature]
well how about a motor then you could pull waterskiers to shore
[signature]