Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protect your truck
Four-wheel-drive pickups and sport-utilities are prime targets for theft. Outdoorsmen’s rigs are especially attractive because they’re often parked in remote locations. Besides locking the doors and taking the keys—something that a surprising number of people still don’t do—hunters and fishermen need to set up a line of defense for their vehicles.
Forget about expensive, high-tech alarms and locks. A pro can disarm the most sophisticated lock in seconds, and what good is an alarm when you’re hunting or fishing miles from your truck?

Thieves are like predators anywhere—they’ll go for easy pickings first. If you can erect a series of security barriers, a thief will most likely move on to another target. The best approach is a two-tier plan that both protects the vehicle and safeguards components. The basic elements are inexpensive and simple to install.

Immobilize It
The first tier is vehicle immobilization via an ignition cutoff switch. Unfortunately, most switches—made to be situated under the dashboard—are easily found. And many can’t handle the rigors of offroad use.

The product that has worked best for me over the years is the Little Switch, from Flaming River ($30; 800-648-8022; www.flaming-river.com). You splice this heavy-duty device into the truck’s electrical system. When activated, it completely disconnects the system from the battery and essentially turns the truck into a 6,000-pound doorstop. Its special feature is a removable key that you take with you. Even if the thief locates the switch, he can’t deactivate it.

Lock It Up
The second tier of protection can help keep such expensive and much-in-demand components as spare tires, wheels, and pickup tailgates from being ripped off. Locks from McGard (starting at $20; 716-662-8980; www.mcgard.com) are made just for this purpose, from a high-strength steel alloy that resists tampering.

The “key” to each is a computer-designed puzzle lock. Every wheel gets one lock (in place of a lug nut). Similar mechanisms can protect both outside-mounted and underbody spares, and keep the tailgate from being lifted out of the bed. Going this route delivers good security at a reasonable cost. Just make sure you don’t lose the keys.
[signature]
I have been thinking about leaving mine on the street corner with the keys in it, it would be my luck some one would push it pack in to my drive way[cool]
[signature]
I had a brand new chevy silverado stole out of my driveway in San Diego. Six months later the news was doing a story about stolden trucks being used by the mexican police in Mexico city. And there was my truck right behind a sweet Mormon assault vehicle{suburban).[pirate]
[signature]
That really sucks.

That’s almost as bad as a Detroit cop stealing a truck and making a drug run and killing some bystander in the process of trying to get away.
[signature]
boy this is somethin, i didnt figure they,d do that. thank god we aint got to deal with this here. we,re pretty lucky i guess. most all hunters look out fer everybody else, and haven,t ever heard of anythin like this happenein here. course i dont imagine these that are doin it are hunters anyways. that tkaes the cake huh. goin some when ya got to git to this point. but whats stoppin em from breakin the winders and taken anythin else? bunch of jerks. later but i guess if ya can protect it some it,s good. maybe you,ll be lucky enough to catch em in the act if it takes em longer. later
[signature]