Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Im 13 and im not to good at fishing i need help
[size 1]i live in washington and i think the lake i fish at has large mouth bass. i need to know what to do to catch them. i have like 5 hooks and a thing that looks like a fly with a hook and i all so have a thing with feathers on the end. i cant buy any thing because i'm poor i get the stuff from the dock (i look in the cracks for lost lures) [/size]
[signature]
That was quick!!!. Hi and welcome to the BFT message boards. I will help you out and start the answer list. Just check back from time to time and see all the other answers as well.

If you only have 5 or so hooks, What size are they??

Are they big enough to hook through some plastic worms??? I would go to your local tackle store and get some plastic worms. Ask the sales clerk what is the best color for your area. He/She may also be able to give you some tips on how to hook them up or use them.

You may want to try hooking up a Texas rig, Carolina Rig, or even a Whacky Rig. Those seem to work best with plastics. There are several post here that explaing exactly how to hook them up in paricular.

Please feel free to check back with any othere questions that you may have. We are here to help in any way that we can.
[signature]
Here is an article about whacky worms. You may be able to get by with this without puchasing anything. You may just need to find some nightcrawlers around and use them if you have to. Good Luck.

Wacky Worms
Spring bass fishing can be exciting with just about any lure. But according to veteran Texas bass pro Jay Yelas, you can get the best thrills when you tie on a weightless worm.

“It’s a fun bait to fish, because unlike with a crankbait or a Carolina-rigged lizard, you can actually see the fish swim up and eat it,” Yelas says. “Anybody can fish it, even a rank beginner, and it’ll catch bass in water temperatures ranging from 60 to 75 degrees.”

Yelas fishes his weightless worms—also called trick, floating, or wacky worms—on a 61/2-foot medium-action spinning outfit with 10-pound-test fluorocarbon line. The combination is perfect for skipping the bait under overhanging cover. He typically opts for a 6- to 8-inch straight-tail worm, which he says exhibits more erratic movements than a ribbon-tail when twitched.

Color and Rigging
“Color is a huge part of the equation,” Yelas says. “I normally use hot colors, like bubblegum, traffic-sign yellow, and white—all of which can provoke awesome reaction strikes. But when bass are especially wary, I’ll switch to natural colors, like watermelon and pumpkin. If you see a bass approach your worm, then turn away, the color is too bright.”

Most of the time, Yelas rigs his weightless worms Texas-style. You can also hook them through the nose or sideways through the egg sac so that the head and tail dangle freely (the latter is known as wacky-style). By varying the hook size, you can make the worm sink faster or slower to match the mood and depth of the fish.

Where to Cast
No matter how you rig them, these worms are deadly around shallow shoreline cover, such as stumps, laydown trees, and patchy grass. Cast right to the cover, not past it. Casts aimed directly at your target are often rewarded with an immediate strike. If they aren’t, let the worm sink until it’s almost out of sight, then gently twitch your rod tip to make the worm shoot sideways. “Don’t overfish it,” Yelas cautions. “If you don’t get a rise out of a bass after a couple of twitches, reel the worm back in quickly and try another piece of cover.”

Often, casting to tight spots in the cover requires a skipping presentation, which Yelas has perfected. (He caught 12 bass to my one on a recent outing when I was using a conventional overhand delivery.)

“It’s just like skipping a stone across a creek,” he says. “You use a sidearm cast, and you want the worm to smack the water in front of you with enough force that it skitters across the surface. This keeps it low so it’ll scoot under overhanging tree branches and flooded bushes. Skip it way back in there, where you’d never reach with an overhand cast—that’s where the big boys live.”

Line twist can be a major problem when fishing weightless worms. Yelas minimizes this by filling his reel only two-thirds full, which keeps the fluorocarbon line from popping off the spool in coils. “You also have to rig the worm perfectly straight; otherwise it’ll roll completely over when you twitch it—a major cause of line twist.”

Yelas points out one more important detail: “Worms often develop a problematic bend in the package. To remove it, take several worms out in the morning and lay them straight on your boat’s deck—the sun will heat them up enough to get the kinks out. Then you’ll be ready to catch fish.”
[signature]
[cool][#408080][size 2]Hi there bigmouthbabe,[/size][/#408080]

[#408080][size 2]Many of us on this site started off with no silver spoon in our mouth, so don't feel bad better days are coming. Welcome to our site and hope that you visit often. By the way which lake are you fishing in WA.? I use to live in Woodinville which is surrounded by rivers and lakes. Will let you know what species are available.[/size][/#408080]
[signature]
pm me with your address and let me know what you have and i will see if i can send you some fishing tackle.
[signature]
well u know little boy if you dont know what the hell your talkin bout you need to get off the site
[signature]
Hey kingcat, it's everybodys place for learning here, especially youngsters just starting out. Cut em' some slack....
Hey there kinkcat, Hi and welcome to the BFT message boards. All members are welcome here and we all learn from each other. Please feel free to share a fishing report with the rest of us when you have one.

This site caters to the needs of the experienced angler as well as the beginners. It is in our best interest to help those that we can so that everone can enjoy this very popular sport. Thank you for understanding and Happy Fishing.
[signature]
and who do you think u r telling me
[signature]
I am the Moderator for this board. I am friendly and help others to remain friendly so that things don't get out of hand.

As long as people keep their post nice and friendly, I don't have to interfere.[cool] Otherwise I grow long hairs out of my knuckles and my fangs start to hang out too far and I can get real ugly.[pirate]

Let's just keep this friendly and talk about fishing. Does that sound OK with you?
[signature]
hey
nice way to handle it tubn2 [Wink]
welcome to bft bigmouthbabe, if you have any questions just ask!!
[signature]
I'm just doing my job as a friendly Mod. All are welcome here as long as they play by the rules. They are not my personal rules so I must adhere to them as well.

I prefer to make friends here. I may end up fishing with some of the visitors of this board one day. You be cool too bro.[cool] Keep up the good work and catch lots of fish.

Check back later. This could turn out to be a nice fishing thread after all.
[signature]

Hey there bigmouthbabe,

Welcome to BFT. I imagine that any fishing club in your surrounding area would be more than glad to cough up some old tackle/plastics for a 13 year old kid.

JapanRon
[signature]

Hey there Kingcat,

Nice to have another angler join our community. Lots of informaton here and I'm sure you've got lots of good info to share too.

JapanRon
[signature]
Welcome aboard bigmouthbabe! I am also from Washington. My company moved me down to Utah 6 years ago. I grew up in Enumclaw and lived for a while in Cusick, just north of Spokane. Let us know where your fishing at and we'll be glad to help you. Every once in a while you will find an idiot on this board, please don't pay attention to them. 99.999 percent of the men and women on this board will bend over backwards to help with information or what ever else you might need in the way of fishing. I also have plenty of tackle, pm me your address and I will send you a collection. Hope to hear from you. Al
[signature]
Welcome to fishing bigmouthbabe. I recently began fishing too. I was unemployed when I started, so I had to make every dollar I spent count. I have a few suggestions for ya. 1) It sounds like you have an artificial fly, I'd try to find another angler in the area and arrange a trade. If he's a fly fisherman too, he might be willing to trade some nice hooks and sinkers or even a lure for it. 2) Listen to the people on this board like daymere. A lot of them have been at this a long long time, and probably started with 5 hooks. 3) When you get some money, buy yourself some tackle, things like sinkers, swivels and snaps. Buy sinkers first, because you'll really need some, the other stuff is just nice to have. 4) I hate to say it, but I would definitely try using real nightcrawlers before I spent money on fake ones. Real ones are nice, because if you can't find any bass, any other fish that swims will take them. You might not get a bass dinner, but a sunfish dinner is hard to beat. 5) Don't let ANYONE make you feel like you don't belong. You may run across a few jerks with no patience for a beginner, but if you're respectful to their space, most anglers are certainly willing to teach. 6) Try to get your friends into the sport. Maybe you can even pitch in to buy some tackle together. $5 can get you enough hooks, sinkers, and bobbers for 3 or 4 of ya.
[signature]
good suggestions i am greatfull for the nice words and all the help this youngster needs.[cool] i think that this is a sport for everyone young and old and if you can help just one kid thats one thats not in trouble doing something else.hats off to you.and if i can help out in any way just pm me and i will be glad to see if i can help.
[signature]
Kingcat, I know you've heard from several others but I just had to throw my 2 pennies in your hat. When I first started coming to this website I had absolutely no clue what to do with fish other than hope they grabbed the hook. I've learned a lot over the past couple of years and I still learn on an almost daily basis by coming here.

We like to respect people here no matter what their level of expertise, or lack thereof. We value everybody who comes here and posts. We just ask that everybody respects everybody else.

Be cool and treat others the way you want to be treated.
[signature]
Hey there bigmouthbabe! [Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2631;] to BFT! I hope you stick around[Smile]. If you go to the Advertisers Board you will find a handful of FREE lure offer samples.
[signature]
Hey bigmounthbabe, I was in meetings all day Friday so I didn't get to send you the lures, hooks, leaders and stuff out. It will go out today. I'm aslo sending you a copy of different knots to use. Its very handy. Some of the packaging looks old, thats because it is. My ex's uncle would buy like 10 lures at a time whenever he found them on sale. They are all new, the packages are just older than you are. haha Its not old junk I don't want. I still use them and I know when I lived up there everyone used triple teeser and wedding rings. Have fun. Al
[signature]