Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
easter bunny brought steel
Had a good weekend up north. The walleyes and steelhead are bitting pretty good. We ended up with 6 nice walleyes that we let go but the 5 nice steelhead went into to the cooler.
The water clearity is a little stained but the run is on. Sunday afternoon I hooked into one of the biggest steelhead I have ever seen and about 10 other guys watching me said the same thing but after a 20 minute battle the fish won. Everyone on the bank watching said she could go in the 18 pound range. What a way to end a trip. We did manage to get a picture of some of the fish.
[signature]
Nice fish, too bad the big one got away. At least you had witnesses. Al
[signature]
i can see you wern't at the elbow to elbow spot [cool] .i did hear that place was a nightmere !

those fish of yours are a real treat to see , i can't wait to get back there already . the fish are a lot larger than those from the east side . saw a huge steelie on at the fallen log at the dam last year , man just a huge fish !

i'm taking fishingirl for her first steelhead fishing experiance this weekend at the au sable , hopefully this will start the growndwork for some salmon fishing this fall .

did you enter the pics in the hall of fame contest ?
[signature]
man alive there Stormy!

all you need is your bft shirt and a ruler and you would be hawgin first place in the Bigfishtackle 16 species contest...

great shots. nice fish... thanks for the pic's
[signature]
Yes, I put them in the Hall of fame. We are heading back up next week for a couple of days during the middle of the week to get away from all the crowds.
[signature]
the weather reports aren't the best up here , but [url "http://www.9and10news.com"]www.9and10news.com[/url] has pretty good reports . scattered rain this weekend thru tuesday .

beefsteak mushrooms are out right now , that meens morels too !

the rapter migration is on (hawks, eagles , falcons ) they follow the mits east and west coastlines up to the big mac , you should have some awsome views while on the river .
[signature]
I wish I could be up there today. What a great day.
MORELS,MORELS,MORELS. My brother in law has some land down in IL. and he pick about 100 good size ones last weekend.
I Have been looking already but I now it's a little early but with the rain and warmer weather next week they will be here by the first of May. How's the turkey looking up your way. I got my turkey permit but it's for the later hunt and I can hunt about anywhere up north. I 'm looking forward to it because it will be the first TOM for me.
[signature]
we got a hundred or so running around the neighborhood .

i'll post more on sunday , the wife and i are heading up to the au sable for a weekend get away .
[signature]
hey , todays trip was a blast , i had one on for about three shakes of it's head and that was it . the night time thunderstorms and sunrise rains did little to move the fish off the beds .

fishingirl landed and released two 22 inch female eyes with there tails half worn away .

after the brief steelhead hook up i myself put up the steelhead rod and broke wide with the uglystick as these self appointed experts came down casting across our lines , casting out of turn , and would hold a drift for about 6 or seven minutes at a time across our drift areas . my feeling is if they wanted to fish that far downriver they should have moved on down the line . i was eager and willing to reply with a few tangled lines to get the message across . it worked .

this was the wifes first steelhead trip on the au sable , she had a blast even thou the fish aren't up as of yet . she handeled herself quite well despite the discourtouse "pros".
[signature]
are you smoking any fish?

I made some smoking chips, maple and cherry. if you want some your welcome to them. (free) you just have to pick them up. they are already bagged. the chips are aprox 1 inch by 8 inches.
[signature]
no, I haven't been smoking any yet. If I don't decide to go up north this weekend I going to break out the smoker and smoke a rainbow and brown from the huron.
Friday night (midnight) the opener starts and three nice big browns are looking pretty tasty right about now. Will you be down there?
[signature]
I will be down there fryday night. and saturday I will be moving across the street to powers beach for a kids fishing derby.
[signature]
Yes, You now where you can find me. I'll be down there around 9:00p.m. to have a few beers with the guys. Saturday I'll stop by with the kids to try our luck.
[signature]
wow! you didnt hear, no more hooch on the river any more.... (booze) new rule imposed this year, (it had always been on the books but was discovered by the new park maniger.

I should be there by 8 pm. by the missing bridge. I wanna get me a good parking spot.

here is a pic of what scott caught last week.
[signature]
Wow! nice fish almost looks like a steelhead. Will scott be coming to? I caught a couple of those two weeks ago. I kinda shocked that those bigger ones are hanging around still. That makes it a little more promising to see. I stop by there last night to see if I can see any and there was two guys just up from the old bridge around the cornere and while I was talking to him for 15 minutes he caught 2 nice size browns. One put on a nice show and jumped out of the water 3 times.
[signature]
I cant remember if he said he was going up for one or two weeks. If he gets back in time I will try to talk him in to coming.

My one nephew you met on the trout pond last year is suspost to be there as well. I will have to check on the other nephew. (the one you met Ice fishing)
[signature]
There will be about 5 or 6 of us going down. We will be heading down sometime bewteen 8:00-9:00 pm. It seems like every year there is a few more guys showing up earlier every year. Now that the fish are alittle bigger a bet there will be alot more people down there.
[signature]