Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kolob Reservoir is OPEN - report - 4/14/04
went this fine saturday morning to Kolob Reservoir - the road is open and there was around 20-30 fishing, and everybody was catching fish. I saw a 5 year old catch a 2 pounder on a gold panther martin, telling his Dad "this is the best trip ever!" I hope he says that to dad at least another 100 times in his life . . .hahaha

i got there about 1/2 hr after first light and met hedgesd and his bro near the boat ramp . . . they were fly fishin', me with 8 foot ulta-light bft handmade spinning rod, bubble, and flies . . I caught around 10 in 3 hrs, they each caught more and were hangin' around to catch more when i left . . . we used or heard used: all colors of boogers, prince nymphs, pheasant tails, midges, ect . . . it was a light bite, they werent savagely attacking the flies - the wind picked up gradually in the a.m. but at least it was at our backs . . [center][Image: K0.jpg][/center]

[center][Image: K1.jpg][/center] [center][Image: K2.jpg][/center] [center][Image: K3.jpg][/center] [center][Image: K4.jpg][/center] [center][Image: K5.jpg][/center] [center][Image: K6.jpg][/center] [center][Image: K7.jpg][/center] [center][Image: K8.jpg][/center] [center][Image: K9.jpg][/center] [center][Image: K10.jpg][/center] [center][/center] [left]VIDEO:[/left] [left][url "http://getyourwebsite.biz/K.ram"]http://getyourwebsite.biz/K.ram[/url] - streaming video for cable & DSL[/left] [left][url "http://mancusoprogramming.com/K1.rm"]http://mancusoprogramming.com/K1.rm[/url] - part 1 for modems[/left] [left][url "http://mancusoprogramming.com/K2.rm"]http://mancusoprogramming.com/K2.rm[/url] - part 2 for modems[/left] [left][/left] [left]Yeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! ! ! ! [/left] [left]-------------------------------------[/left] [left]gps info[/left] [left][size 1]N 37 degrees 26' 1.6"

W 113 degrees 2' 36.4"

[/size][url "http://www.al.rodngun.com/gps/MapLookup.asp"][size 1]http://www.al.rodngun.com/gps/MapLookup.asp[/size][/url][size 1] - track gps waypoints here

8008 Feet elevation[/size][/left] [left]sm[/left]
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] Man those are some good looking fish. They look plenty fat. I can't wait to hit Kolob. [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size]
[signature]
Ya those fish are full of eggs and did well this winter. What a great way to spend my birthday. Fishing was on and off all day. I'd get a bunch of hits and then nothing. Wind is always a problem this time of year and cold. Wind averaged 8 mph and gust up to 27 mph. High temp for today was 49 from 10-2 and quickly droped back to the mid 30's.

For anybody who is thinking about making a trip to Kolob remember it's artificial flies and lures only. No scents or bait of any kind is allow and only one fish over 22".

Thanks for the great pictures Southernman.
[signature]
Thanks for the info Southerman, just so happens I was planning on going there Tuesday morning for a day of fishing. Fishings always good there, especially this time of year, but I wasn't sure if the lake would be ice free. I'll try'n remember to take more and better pics this time. Is there any bad spots on the road up or is it nice and clear?

Glad you guys had a good trip...

Feel free to drop advice on any specific flies that are working. That's my favorite lake and I know it pretty well, but nothing beats recent experience.

Later,
Mark
[signature]
the road is totally clear, a few boulders and branches to look for but nuthin' much . . .

they were hitting everything, but i liked a brown bugger and prince nymph combo . . they werent savagely hitting the buggers, it was a light bite

sm
[signature]
The best method is closer to bait fishing then fly fishing. Use a strike indicator and let it sit. The fish were biting so soft today it was hard to know if you snagged bottom or a fish was on. It was a ruff day and my wrist still hurt from the cold.

Work the long point between the boat ramp and dam. The rocky side had more fish but no wind break. The day before I tried from the steep side of the inlet around past the island with no bites. Might be because the water clarity is better near the dam and mud is the best way to discribe the water on the north side.

Good luck and have fun.
[signature]
Hey Hedgesd,

Thanks for the info... I'll be using chironomids below a strike indicator primarily. At this time of year that should be just the ticket, but if need be I'll switch up to whatever it takes.

I may, however be going to Sunnyside to fish. My buddy wants to keep fish and that means no Kolob. I'm gonna talk with him tomarrow and show him Southerman's pics so I may be able to convince him to switch. If not, I'll hit Kolob soon at any rate. I pretty much catch and release most of the time, but I do keep trout occaissionally for the wife, so this will be a good time to stock her up. I love saltwater fish, but I'm not too crazy about fresh, 'cept for yellow perch which I adore.

We should get together to fish sometime. If I can get to it in 5hrs then it's within my two day camping trip range, and you'll find me at Kolob at least half of the time anyhow. It's close and one of the funnest lakes I know of anywhere!

Later,
Mark
[signature]
now thats a first hedge lipping a rainbow hehe. hey how many people did you count breaking the regs this trip? dang i missed this years trip. those look like females are the male up in the shallows yet?
[signature]
you havent missed anything its just opened up , , , the next month should be great . . thought you were coming down soon?

sm
[signature]
yeah we are. still trying to work out the details.
[signature]
Some places had more males then females. I'd say about a 50/50 split. Still no spawning activity yet.

11" of snow last night. 2 more storms on the way. Hopefully the road is still open this weekend.
[signature]
hey telbone, didja make it to Kolob Tuesday? How was the road in?

[Wink]

sm
[signature]
I guess I wasn't the only one having a good day.

I went up Saturday the 17th, I showed up around noon. I was on the east side up in that cove and fished up to the ramp. I think I saw you guys fishing over there on the ramp. I was catching on brown buggars and leeches. Hits were very lite like you said. Did you guys get any cutts? I ended up with four. I stayed up until about 6:00 pm when the snow and cold started to get even worse.
[signature]
i got outta there about noon mountain time or 11 am pacific . . . hedgesd and his bro prob were still there if you saw 2 guys flyfishing it was them . . . wow i didnt even know there were cutts in there! bonnevilles? got any pics? thanks for the report! Maybe we can meet up there in the weeks coming up . . i hope to make a few trips up there this spring . .

sm
[signature]
I don't know the specific details on the different cutt speicies so I have no clue which type they were. They were definately cutts though.

I was down for the weekend from Salt Lake, it was the first time I'd been fishin there. We were mostly down hiking around Zions but I couldn't pass up Kolob. I didn't get any pics because my wife had the camera with her on their hike, I knew I should have snuck it from her.

I really want to get down there again, those hogs are well worth it.
[signature]
The cuts are Bear Lake strain. I usually don't catch to many cuts. I did get a couple cut bows. Seen only one Brookie caught 3 years ago.

Were you the three guys working that rocky point? Southernman was parking on the ramp.
[signature]
I didn't move over to that rocky point till later, should have fished it from the beginning. I was in the little blue F.O.R.D.
[signature]
Might not of been you because the three guys I seen were stripping in fast. Things tend to change every weekend because off all the fishing pressure and warm/cold fronts. I'm hoping things are different this weekend. I don't like that style of fly fishing unless I'm on a river.

I was wearing a heavy camo coat and black beeni.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] I was reading back through the posts and read something I guess I missed the first time though. [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] Happy Belated Bithday, Hedgesd. [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size]
[signature]
Hey thanks. I'm still getting stuff from family and friends who don't live in Utah.
[signature]