Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Mesa
I'm going to Blue Mesa for a week in early June. Anyone familiar with that place? I've never been there before.

So I'm hoping someone can help me with information on: [ul] [li]What species of fish are in there?[/li] [li]What produces best for those species that time of year?[/li] [li]What's the best route to get there from Denver? Scenic route preferred.[/li] [li]What's the best campground? Shady? Close to a ramp? Showers? Electrical hookup for boat charging? Marinas with on land fuel - Unleaded and Diesel?[/li] [li]What other stuff should I do there besides fishing?[/li][/ul]

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated!
[signature]
[font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]Blue Mesa Reservoir - The reservoir is ice-free and all boat ramps are usable. Water is somewhat off-color due to runoff from streams entering the lake. Shoreline fishing for brown trout is good using Marabou jigs sweetened with mealworms. Fishing for lake trout has been slow but a few fish are being caught by boaters trolling large Flatfish or jigging with large tube jigs tipped with sucker meat. Look for improved fishing later this month as the water warms.[/size][/#000000][/font] [font "Arial"][#c4ac82][size 2]Hatches:[/size][/#c4ac82][/font] [font "Arial"][#000000][size 1] [ul][/ul][/size][/#000000][/font] [font "Arial"][#c4ac82][size 2]Patterns[/size][/#c4ac82][/font] [font "Arial"][#000000][size 1] [ul][/ul][/size][/#000000][/font] [font "Arial"][#c4ac82][size 2] [#000000][size 3]Brown Trout,[/size][/#000000] northern pike [#000000][size 3]Mackinaw: (lake trout, cutthroats[/size][/#000000][/size][/#c4ac82][/font] [font "Arial"][size 1] [ul][/ul][/size][/font] [right][url "http://www.weatherroom.com/forecast/81230.html"][Image: weather?forecast=hourly&hwvtc=000000...;alt=hwicc][/url][/right] Brook Trout
Rainbow Trout
[font "Arial"][#c4ac82][size 2] [#000000][size 3]Kokanee[/size][/#000000][/size][/#c4ac82][/font]all the fishing info i could find hope it helps.
[signature]
good tip and thasnks for the update and equipment info
[signature]
Thanks. Keep the info coming. I hate wishing my life away, but I wish the big trip wasn't over a month away.
[signature]
my life is fishing and life is good.
[signature]
Any one know the name of a good campground there that offers shade and a paved road to the launch ramp for a boat?
[signature]
Just take Hwy 50 over the bridge to the dam end of the resevoir and launch at Lake Fork . There is a marina and campground there. That puts you in easy access of the Lake Fork and Soap creek arms. Thats where you want to be fishing anyway!
[signature]
Fished Blue Mesa last Saturday and Sunday and the action stunk. I caught four small macks in two twelve hour days. But the weather was great and I had a lot of fun just boating around the west end of the lake, all of the creek arms are very scenic. I did notice alot of people hooking up with nice size kokanee and heard about two lakers that came out this spring weighing near the record, I keep saying maybe next time. Has anyone else tried going for macs at Blue lately?
[signature]
Headed to blue Mesa for a week starting on June 6. Anyone have any reports to share or tips for me?
[signature]
Just spent five days at blue mesa. Windy Mesa would be more like it. LOL

Caught kokanee with about four colors of leadcore out. Caught a few lake trout and browns about 80 - 100 feet deep on crankbaits. Rainbows were everywhere.
[signature]
Hey Eric-

Thanks for the report. What size were your fish? I heard very vague rumors, maybe from Oats, of a couple of macks this spring that pushed the record. Would you make that trip again? If so, what time of year? How was the campground? I've never fished Blue Mesa and I'm really curious as to your take on it.

Boy, do I know what you mean about wind. I went to Flaming Gorge Wednesday night and it blew all day Thursday and Friday (along with rain, sleet and hail), and again last evening. I felt like I was back in Kansas where all the trees grow permanently bent from the wind! No kidding.
[signature]
There's plenty of shade at the Best Western! LOL.

Did you go up into the Lake Frk arm?
[signature]
Hey Eric-

Good job on the camper! I tried that same approach once. Instead of buying the camper, mine divorced me and took half my other stuff! Bummer. LOL
[signature]
Woops. Guess i wasn't logged in. LOL

Sorry or Congrats about the ex-wife thing. \

I imagine someday, she will leave with the way I am. Anyways, I just hang up posters of OJ Simpson and always talk about how cool he is. Guess I've scared her into staying around. LOL
[signature]
ROFLMAO! O.J. Simpson! I love it!
[signature]
Congrats on your mission accomplished.

How did you catch the big laker at Flaming Gorge?
[signature]
Thanks. I was jigging tubes. I put a report on the Utah General Discussion board. Here's the link: [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=140033;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=140033;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread[/url]
[signature]
where on the gorge were you jigging? Across from the ramp or down in the canyon on that turn?
[signature]
Pictures from my trip:
[signature]
Eric-

Nice pics. What did you catch your macks on? How deep were you marking the macks?

Thanks.
[signature]