Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
augmenting my tube.
I am thinking of trying to change my v style float tube so that I sit more out of the water and am looking for some suggestions. Here is what I have come up with so far. sew a flat "slippery" type material that wraps up the sides onto the bottom of the tube and sew the existing seat or a new one up more towards the middle of the inside of the tube. I am pretty sure it would work my main wories though are how to reenforce the material so the canvas doesn't rip. Any suggestions?

Jed
[signature]
I have tried using a PFD the flat square ones that double as seat cushions. Just place it on the existing seat and tie it off so it doesn't move. You would have to have a seat first I guess not sure if you do. It worked great as far as keeping me dry but my legs wouldn't hang down as low in the water so there is a sacrifice towards propulsion. Also since I'm higher out of the water it becomes difficult to control the tube in windy conditions. What tube do u have?
[signature]
My son and I were using the square PFD tied around the seat of our Caddis Uboats. That seemed to work well without jeoprodizing the integrity of the tube. They can cost anywhere from 5 to 10bucks.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Jed, I assure you that gaining a higher seating position has been a goal of many float tubers over the years. And, you can believe that I have tried just about every possible means to sit higher without adding too much to the weight or messing up the balance of the system.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have tried several experiments with straps and slings, to allow me to sit above the factory seat. They are usually uncomfortable and ineffective. Also, I would not recommend altering the connections on the original seat. Not worth the trouble and it could compromise the strength of the seat connection.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I tried adding a couple of plastic covered "statium seats". These added height, but were so slick when wet that it was tough to stay in the tube. They also soaked up a lot of water and became more weight to carry back to the car.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]One of the best partial solutions was a piece of 4" high density foam. It made a nice comfortable seat and did add some height. But, like the stadium cushions, it soaked up water and had to be thoroughly squeezed out at the end of a trip...and allowed to dry for several days afterward.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Since I have acquired a couple of Outcast craft I have had a chance to try both the inflated seat and the closed cell rigid foam seat. Both work well to provide a firm and high-riding seat. I do not know why either could not be adapted to a float tube system with a seat below the water line.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]One of my past experiments, in a round tube, was to bring along a small utility tire inner tube and set it over the fabric seat. Unfortunately, because of the limited space in the round tube, and the open back end of the seat, it did not work well. But, for some of the newer designs and the U and V shapes, a small inner tube might be a good fix. It is light, inflatable and can be adjusted both for fit and comfort.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you can't find something suitable in a small inner tube, go to the swimming section of Wally World, or a swimming pool supply store. They have lots of closed cell foam and inflatable pool floaties. You might find something there that will both fit and provide the extra elevation you need.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you do it right, you should not have to worry about adding much extra bulk or weight.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Again, whatever you do, don't take your craft apart and try to reassemble it.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If all else fails, get a year or so of good use from your current craft, and take careful note of what you REALLY want in a flotation system. Then sell your old model to a newbie and invest in something new that more closely matches what you want.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Young students with families don't usually have more money than they know what to do with, so buying right the furst time is important. However, if you had to settle for a price just to get started, then make it count. Once you can afford what you truly need, you will get several years worth of comfortable and efficient fishing enjoyment out of it.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If all else fails, make a mini "raft" of those brightly colored closed cell foam "noodles" the kids use in swimming pools. Get some hot colors and they will double as fish attractors.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
If your wife has had kids or you know somebody that is going to have a baby and you have the guts to ask for it try to get the "donut" they send home after a child birth. I'm talking about the ones the ladies sit on for a couple of days while healing.

I was going to make this a really sarcastic post and have no idea how well the donut would work. Try it if you dare[Wink][Wink][Wink]
[signature]

Hi there Jedburton,

I've done some illustrations you'll see down below as attachments. The replacement seat is light and kinda cheap $30.00. It's used in kayaks and other craft. The seat riser I made was just from stuff I have laying around. The hardest part of the home made seat was attaching the two halves of the aluminum pot to the board (seat).

Once I found the right brackets, the seat serves as a stablizer bar too!

It's nice to have extra storage too.

JapanRon
[signature]
it is a dave scadden V-style.

Jed
[signature]
I thought of the donut thing as soon as TD started talking about the inner tube inside. I used to work in the OB section of the hospital when I was younger, so I am very familiar with the donut. In fact I may have one.

Jed
[signature]
I didn't clarify this at the first of my post and I realise I should have. My main goal in this experiment is to make less resistance on the bottom of the tube so that I can move around faster. I may not need to sit higher if I can completely cover, at least to the front of the seat, the bottom of the tube so that there is less resistance in the water.

Jed
[signature]
[cool][#008080][size 2]Hey there JR - where have you been buddy? You have been as quiet as my fishing results the last few times out. Anyhow - can you make your illustrations a little bit larger? When I expand the pics they get distorted.[/size][/#008080]
[signature]

Hi there Dryrod,

Yes, I'll see what I can do. I have been busy with doing over 125 illustrations on various aspects of float tube fishing.

Fishin' pretty hard now too with boats going to Catalina again. Going again tomorrow.

JapanRon
[signature]