I want to catch a large catfish
In the Salt Lake Tribune today, Brett Prettyman wrote:

"White bass, walleye should start biting soon

This spring's roller-coaster weather pattern has led to hot and cold
fishing at Utah Lake.
State park officials reported that anglers were catching catfish up to
22 pounds at the marina and that crappie were starting to show up in the
creel before the weather went chilly again."

I want to catch a large catfish. Just so you know, at my current level of catfishing, I consider a catfish of ten pounds or larger to be large. If someone out there KNOWS HOW, WHEN AND WHERE to catch the large ones, "Let's make a deal". You help me catch a large catfish, and I will take you fishing in my 18-foot boat (Strawberry, Bear Lake, Scofield or any other water of reasonable distance). If you fit the bill please send me a Private Message. I don't want to be rude, but I only want to hear from those who have already caught large cats, not those who are like me, and think they know how to catch them.
[signature]
I am also looking to hook a big cat this year , but I like a challenge so I like to go at things alone most of the time . I really never have tried for cats in Utah , but did pick up a few small cats at willard last year at the fish and feed . Best of luck to you .
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I've caught some good cats in the Bear River back in the early 80's. The largest was 34" on shrimp. I had a friend who leased land near Honeyville and we'd drive in and spend the weekend catching cats and dodging bugs. We also used crawdads and carp for bait. You seemed to hook up on the bigger cats once Cutler released water and the current was raging down the river. [/size][/font]
[signature]
Kent when you find the secret to catching large cats share it to us all. I've caught some big cats but lnot in the class you are looking for on Utah lake over by pelican point. We were hammering them with a shrimp tipped with worm and smothered in smelly jelly. msmallest of the sessions was pushing 2-3lbs biggest was 5-6 lbs there were 5 on the boat and we limited out in about 4 hours and had a catfish fry that night. Funny thing is we were in only about 4ft of water and maybe 100yds from shore. We used no fish finder, just went out to a place that looked good and dropped anchor.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
At Utah Lake you were fishing in the deeper water. I have often caught them at Utah Lake in less than a foot of water in the middle of the day.
[signature]
You could touch the bottom with a paddle, it was about 4ft deep is all. Lots of fun I'd love to do it again sometime, looking forward to hitting the waters in the next weeks. Utah Lake is a priority and loads of fun for catfishing. We used a catfish hook simaliar to a elongated circle hook used a meduim shrimp (left out in the sun for a few days to get good and stinky then tipped it with a crawler large and covered with smelly jelly, (don't remember what kind) flat wieght, maybe 1/2 - 1 oz and just let it on the bottom about 20 ft away from the boat and towards some reeds/cattails I think we even had bobbers on the line to detect when the line was hit, but it was a hoot, I spent most of the day untangling lines and removing fish and baiting hooks, but I caught my limit. too. That is all we caught that day, cats, lots of them. I'll dig at home for pics.
[signature]