Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with old boat
I was lucky enough to get this boat (see attachment) from my Bahamian Father-In-Law. Unfortunately, I only was able to afford a 3.5 Johnson (short-shaft) motor for it. After I found the minimum is suposed to be a 9 hp. So, I am running it no more than half speed. Anymore than that doesn't really increase speed at present. The bottom has not been cleaned and it has been sitting in the water for many years.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to improve this vessel? I know that the front has to be fixed quickly because as we hit waves, the area between the bottom hull and inside deck (which has some serious damage) takes on water.

Mind you now, the boat was free and my wife and I have found it very comfortable for fishing and handling the waters here in the Bahamas.

Dave
[signature]
That's a very interesting looking boat you've got there. I've never seen one like it before.

I don't have any idea on how you can fix it up but I can tell you one thing for sure. Free boats tend to be expensive boats. I got a free one last year and I'm still not sure if it even floats. I'm going to check on that this coming Friday, if possible.
[signature]
It's a 13'3" Boston Whaler, stripped out. I found a boat seat floating in the ocean after a high tide one morning and cut a 2x6 seat for my wife. I have cut and screwed in a new plywood piece for the bow. I think some fiberglass screening and epoxy will stop the water from entering the inner space. The bottom has been scrapped now and was fairly clean, just sea grass on it. All we are planning on doing after that is paint. No plans for restoring, remember this is the Bahamas, as long as it floats and is seaworthy.

Thanks for the reply.

Dave
[signature]