Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N.E. LOWER FISHING REPORT
no smelt from tawas to oscoda last night , all creeks , streams and rivers were checked all along the way . i spent the rest of the night tieing spawn and flys , cleaning and polishing the rods and reels , and putting on some new #4 test berkley line from tackle direct . cought a ton of suckers at the foote and 1 of 40,000 rainbows that were planted last thursday . i bet there were a couple hundred dead ones on the river bottom . and i frose my sitting spot to death doing it !!! we gotta get a new weatherman , 60's wern't in this neck of the woods by a longshot ! bright side of it all was only the die hard fishermen stayed at it with me today , the rest came and went like clockwork . for fun , while one of the guys was taking a nature break we put a few suckers on his stringer . we all got a pritty good laugh when he found out . [signature]
[signature]
oh yea, one more thing .

in addition to the six foot stergon dave reported about cought at the au sable pier area , another four were cought in the river itself .

with some luck this may become a new spawning ground for them .
[signature]
I know the cold thing!

It got down to the mid thirties around here, I packed along my Ice fishging clothing just in case. I have gone on nights where I have had to build a fire just to thaw the werm can so I could get a werm to put on my hook.[shocked]

While I was comfortable temp wize my nephew was a bit cold and huddled around the lantern most of the night.

sure would be nice to see the sturgeon move back in to their home lands.
[signature]
32 when i hit hale this morning , with rain . it felt a lot warmer than yesterday with all that wind , bbbrrrrrr .

they opened the dam and i spent most of the time re-tieing after every cast .

i had a two minute ride from a steelie , reel screaming , rod bending fun ! forgot all about being cold then , untill my hook box hit the ground . picking up all those little hooks out of the mud isn't easy , sorting them back up was fun thou .

hey that sucker #5 might not be a redhorse , not sure what kind it is . black and white stripes from head to tail . you got any idea what kind it is ?
[signature]
well it is not a long nose and it is not a white that only leaves red horse.

speaking of horses, who do you favor for the kentucky derby?
[signature]
[url "http://mendota.limnology.wisc.edu/fishid/GenDispByCateg.asp?GenCateg=Scien_Name"]http://mendota.limnology.wisc.edu/fishid/GenDispByCateg.asp?GenCateg=Scien_Name[/url]

i looked at the photo's of the suckers on this site and it dosen't resemble any of them (redhorse species )

both male and female are black and white striped , must be racing suckers or skunk suckers .

hey , for the kentucky derby , i pick the winner to come in first place , lol !
[signature]
good resorce, looking at the suckers available on that site, the one you caught most resembles the N Hog Sucker. Did you keep it or release it?

I cant remember if that is a master angler fish... it is one they do...

you may want to get another opinion...
[signature]
it's not a northern hog sucker , we have those here in the rivers . the hog looks camoflosed like a wattlesnake . these suckers are striped like a gardner snake . i'll look some more .

it's snowing right now . old man winter must sure like the hospitality of michigan folk .

i just talked to bassass , he's getting the boat out of storage for the upcomming bass tournament season , i'm looking forward to it myself . he did rather well on the walleye saturday .
[signature]