Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shrimpboy does Saguaro with Tubedude
[cool][blue][size 1]Shrimpboy is a young guy from Utah who will soon be relocating to Phoenix, to continue his postgrad studies at ASU. He came down in December and we tubed Saguaro without much success. At my suggestion, he timed another trip for the end of April, to get acquainted with some yellow bass and channel cats. [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]He nearly "blew " it. He came in the day after a major frontal system and windstorm almost blew all the fish out of the lake. That usually knocks the fishing off for a few days. But, since he was here and more than ready, we did it anyway.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]First morning (Friday), he was waiting outside when I picked him up at 5 AM. A good sign in a fishing buddy. Hit the lake about 6:15, after getting the Fat Cats aired up and set up. Jack (SB) came without waders. Couldn't get the leaks fixed in his Hodgmans and figured the 67 to 70 degree water in Saguaro would be a piece of cake for a Utah boy. He still hit high C when he backed into the water at shoreline and it was only 63.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Since I took the time to put on MY leaky Hodgmans, I was a few minutes behind Jack to get out in "fish country". Jack was reeling in the first yellow bass just as I got launched and turned on my walkie talkie. I figured it was gonna be a gangbuster day.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]It started out great for wildlife. Jack got to see and hear his first ever cardinal...a common bird around Saguaro during the spring. We also got a serenade from a couple of whitewing doves. They are bigger than mourning doves and have a long drawn out call that sounds like they are trying to sing county western. As soon as we were on the water, we saw a couple of blue herons and the everpresent turkey vultures waiting for the morning sun to charge their batteries.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]One of the pics is of three deer that came down near me on the other side of the lake, when I left Jack to do some prospecting. There's another pic of some white cattle egrets sharing a tree with a turkey vulture on the second morning (Saturday). [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Back to fishing. Jack also caught a sunfish before I caught my first yellow bass. But, I caught several nice yellow bass in a row before Jack scored again. On Friday morning we almost had the lake to ourselves. It was calm and warm, and the water level was at it's highest point. That kept most of the fish back inside the no boat buoy line and meant that we had no competition from either boat or bank anglers.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Jack scored the first catfish also. It was only about a couple of pounds, and proved to be the first of several about the same size we caught over the two day period. I was surprised since the average cat in that area is at least 5 pounds. I caught one slightly larger a little later, and those were the only two cats for the first day. However, after throwing back several smaller fish, we ended up with 19 yellow bass for the table (12 to 7...tubedude...but who's counting).[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Stopped by my place to give Shrimpboy a demo on filleting with the electric knife. Dropped him off at his inlaws with a nice big bag of fillets and agreed to do it all over again at the same time Saturday.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Again, Jack was waiting when I drove up. He gets my seal of approval. He's a fisherman. Saturday I decided to brave the water temps and fish "wet too", with a pair of neoprene flats boots inside the fins and a pair of drawstring cotton pants to cover my legs. As the day before, the water at the shoreline was only 63, but quickly warmed to 67 a few yards from shore and ultimately to almost 70 before noon, when we quit on Friday.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]On Saturday, they had dropped the water level on Saguaro about two feet. That meant having to search for the fish again. They were not where they had been Friday. In fact, we saw very few marks on our sonar. I picked up a couple of yellow bass randomly, by bouncing a flathead jig. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Sidenote. On Friday, I had soaked our cut up fish bits with shad oil, anticipating that the yellow bass would be feeding on shad. Saturday, I doctored them with crawdad oil, in anticipation of getting into more cats. It worked. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Jack scored the first cat Saturday, out in deeper water. But, could get nothing else to hit out there. I got a small cat inside the buoys and another yellow bass. When Jack moved inside he "went bendo" on a larger fish. After several minutes of bent stick, stretched string and a big Smile, Jack dipped up the first of two larger cats...both going 5.8 pounds on the digital scales later.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]We picked up a stray yellow here and there. I got a hard fighting 3.5 pound channel for my second and last cat of the day. Jack got another under two pounds and then wrestled in the second large cat, to finish with four channels on Saturday.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Then, the deadly Saguaro curse set in. Several trailer loads of canoes and kayaks unloaded and hordes of screaming and inept thrashers hit the water. Some actually pounded on the side of the boat with their oars...delighting in the resonating sounds on the small cove. Others splashed each other and steered aimlessly around the cove.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Of course, as a part of the curse, these folks could not stay somewhere away from the fishermen. They seem to have a magnetic draw toward anyone trying to finess neutral mode fish. Some of these idiots actually hit our craft (see picture) with their oars as they banged and thrashed past us. What few marks we had seen on the sonar disappeared and we had no more hits for over an hour. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Since most of the thrashers seemed to want to operate inside, where we had been fishing, I suggested to SB that we might want to go out to the point and see if we could find some traumatized fish holding along the edge. Bingo. As soon as we reached the designated spot, we each scored another yellow bass. And, Bingo again. Before we even got the fish in the baskets we were surrounded by the horde of canoes and kayaks, banging out a warning to the stupid fish below.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]No more bites. No more patience. We were off the lake a little after 10 AM. Stopped at a favorite Chinese Buffet on the way home and ate too much. Went to my kitchen to fillet out the fish and dropped SB off by early afternoon.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Oh yeah, one interesting note is that on Saturday, I had just been telling SB that a lot of people lost tackle out there and that by bottom bouncing jigs I had brought in several rods and reels. Shortly thereafter, he hooked a loose line and as he handlined it in, there was a complete spinning outfit attached. Some scum on it, but very serviceable. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]All in all a good time was had by all.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good report, too bad that Jack didn't have a decent cap to wear!
[signature]
[cool][#004040][size 2]Hey there TubeDude,[/size][/#004040]

[#004040][size 2]Nice story & pics. Makes me yearn for country living. How about those two gals in the canoe. Don't they give the tubers a little space to themselves over there?[/size][/#004040]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Kent, there's just no accounting for good taste. I didn't have another hat for him. TubeN2 got away with my extras.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Dryrod, that lake is definitely not a spot for those who like pristine wilderness. There is something mystical about being in a tube. It draws other water users directly to you. I have lost count of the number of times I have been on the lake ALONE...and the first boat, PWC, water skier or noisy rowboat makes a beeline right for me. If you wave them off they wave back and come all the faster. If you yell at them they get rude and insulting, and ask if you think you own the lake.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have accumulated a photo file of various craft that have moved in and taken over our fishing spots. They usually do so in spite of having a large lake they could use, but instead use us as marker buoys as the spot they need to be.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Possibly the least offensive was the pic of "EYESTRAIN". The most offensive was the "PARTY BARGE". That group literally moved right on top of Tubebabe, who was all by herself in the whole big cove. They heaved over the anchor almost into her Fat Cat and proceeded to have a party. The Hawaiian racing canoes come down many Saturday mornings and have fast and furious races out from the beach. They do not care as much about steering as speed and we often have to be responsible for moving if we want to avoid being paddled to death. Then , there are frequently the canoe classes, usually comprised of a lot of young people who are there to play, and do not have any concept of sportsmanship or respect for the rights of others.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]99 percent of the time, these guys hit the water right in the middle of a good bite. We see lots of fish on our sonars one minute and the next the water is barren. We have stayed beyond the onslaught of the water gremlins on some occasions, but usually we are better off to just leave the lake to them. It is rare to catch anything once they own the lake.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[unimpressed][#408080][size 2]My dad would had kicked my butt if I had behaved like some of those idiots in your pictures. Then again no, for I wasn't raised to disrespect the rights of others. I guess it is time for us to buy our own fishing hole.[/size][/#408080]

[#408080][size 2]Beam me up Charlie to a better place.[/size][/#408080]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=4189;]
[signature]
What an awesome couple of days! I can't thank TD enough for showing me such a good time! He's one of those guys that would literally give you the shirt off of his back! (he pretty much did....note the XXL sweat shirt he handed me when he found out that I'd neglected to realize how cold it would actually be out there) :-)

Thanks again TD! I had a great time, even if I had to be introduced to some of your Arizona recreationalists. [crazy] Now I know I won't be totally lost when we move down here this summer.

-Jack
[signature]
If the two of you were not so darn good lookin' those girls in the canoes wouldn't have needed to get so close. Who knows, maybe crawdad and shad scent attract people too! I'll be on the lookout for cradad cologne the next time I'm at Dillards. Nice report!
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Nate, I suspected it might be something in the scents. You know how pheromones are supposed to work. Sure enough, after Jack left, I found a small bottle of the cologne he uses...CHANNEL (CAT) #9.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Unfortunately, it also attracts plenty of guys too. See the attached pic.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well, that stinks (insert groans, boos, and hisses here). Who wants to attract the guys??? I would be willing to lay $$$$ down that if TubeBabe cracked open a bottle of Channel (cat) #9, you would be right there with bells on.

So what is that guy doing anyway, other than interrupting your fishing?

Later!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff][size 1]Hey Nate, you are quite wrong on the Tubebabe and the super scent theory. Some scents need to be kept for fishing and others for the human interaction thing. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]That guy in the "inflatable" was a pic I included in a post last year, illustrating that there were a lot of ways to go afloat and fish. Would you believe that this guy had no oars or paddles and that he propelled himself by sculling with his hands? He did have a single rod, but I am not sure what he used for bait.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]When I took the pic, it was after he moved into a spot where I had just caught a nice channel cat. I was pulled off the spot during the epic battle and he moved right in. I never saw him catch anything but a couple of snags. I also saw him get a serious workout when an offshore breeze came up. He was unable to propel himself back into the beach and had to get out of his dingy and wade back along the steep shoreline. I would have offered to tow him, but I was busy...with other fishies, ya know.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]In reality, there are a lot of folks that show up at Butcher Jones cove, where we fish mostly, who are quite poor. They do whatever they can to try to harvest a couple of fish. Some of them use the "poor man's spinning outfit". That is a drink can wound with monofilament. The weighted line is twirled around the head and launched while holding the end of the can toward the water. The line peels off like a spinning reel spool. Unfortunately, these guys leave a lot of line strung along the bottom. They snag up a lot and just leave their lines. Some parts of the lake are almost impossible to fish anymore because of the underwater spider webs.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Man that sucks about all the disruptive canoers and partiers. Now as for the "eyestrain" that could disrupt my fishing anytime, infact they could swim all around me for that point. But when i take non'fisherpersons out on my boat, i overemphisize the importance of respect of the fellow recreationists.
[signature]
I was talking about going fishing as this is a fishing related board[Tongue]. What were you thinking[shocked][blush]??????? Now I am going to officially drop the subject.
[signature]
Hadn't seen you around the utah board lately so I though I'd take a peak in here to see if i could find ya! As always, Great report. Looks like you showed sb a great time. Only problem was didn't see any pictures of you[cool], what gives[Wink]!!
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey BC, glad you liked the report. True, young Jack had some enjoys. Tubebabe was up in Salt Lake playing mother, grandma and sister over the weekend so she wasn't out there with HER digital.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Too many pics of me on the board anyway. That was not my trip, but my guest's.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I haven't been spending much time on any of the boards lately. Between work and taking care of my mother (broken thigh), I have been lucky to get in any fishing at all.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]How are things with you? Doing any damage?[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Haven't been doing a ton of fishing. However, even in the busy times I have a minimum fishing quota to meet. Between the new baby and finishing the basement I've been pretty occupied. I fished the Ogden the other day cause its so close. The last real fishing trip was about two weeks ago to Scofield. Caught some nice fish. Used a TD roadrunner[Wink].. I fished it just like a spinner. Had a blast even if it was short lived. Those runners work great jigged or drug like a spinner. Good to hear from you. Well wishes to your mom. Hello to Tubebabe..
[signature]
Any bad day of fishing can be over come by a wee bit of eye candy! Great report ol'e buddy[Wink]
[signature]
Great fishing report. I am envious. I want to go fishing with the great legend. Sometimes I travel to Gilbert, Arizona to do workshops for the educators down there. What are the chances of hooking up with you for a fishing trip if I get invited to go there again?

Lloyd
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Gilbert is right next door to Chandler. But, even if it wasn't, I would make sure that you had transportation, tackle and expert guide service. How could I not do all within my power to accomodate such a good friend who I have never met yet?[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Of course, I will expect no less from you when I get back up to Utah.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]