Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shovelnose Sturgeon Returning To Ohio
[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][#000000][size 2]COLUMBUS, OH—Thanks to a partnership between public and private groups, shovelnose sturgeon are making a comeback in Ohio after a nearly 50-year absence.

Water pollution and dams eliminated the fish from the state decades ago, but drastically improved water quality in the Scioto River has allowed the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) to begin a five-year sturgeon reintroduction effort, now in its third year. [/size][/#000000][/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][#000000][size 2]Every shovelnose stocked in the Scioto River will be marked with an injected liquid-plastic tag visible just under the skin on the snout. Three years from now, when biologists attempt to measure the program's success, they'll look for young shovelnose sturgeon without marks, the products of natural reproduction. [/size][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Wow! that is one that got by me. I did not think they would try to reintrouduce them with all the dams. Glad they chose the Scioto as it will be a challange to land one. It is only a half hour drive from me. It also has been over 30 years since I heard of any in the state.
[signature]