Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelican 4/25 - Puzzeled
Left for Pelican with Sparky 4/24 and fished 4/25 by wading and float tube. Fishing for me was lousy!!! Never had that happen! Last year at approximately this time it was great. Last year was seeing bass and blues in the shallows and caught all I wanted wading. Didn't have a way of measuring water temp. but air temp. reached about 65-70 deg. Thiis was my only shot at trying now or waiting until mid to late May since I'll be gone. Wanted a chance without the bugs. Caught a few blues and no bass, saw nothing visually. Now then - there are several possibilities - just comeing off a cold spell (however we've had a warm spring), had to fish close to the bank ( Sparky at 9 mos. went crazy when I would try to leave him tied up so I couldn't go far/deep), only spent about 10 hrs fishing on the 25th (warming trend now), bass spawn over, blues haven't moved in yet, winter kill, lost my touch? Didn't sound like others were doing all that great!? As long as I was with the pup he was great, need to find away of distracting him to do my fishing, take a boat, bring another friend with a dog, leave him home (last choice).

Any constructive comments anyone? Oh - that's ok, they don't have to be construcive, have at me! It's all fun!

[crazy]Leaky
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Leaky, sorry the ol' pond treated you so shabby. But, like any water, it can have its ups and downs. I think your experience might have been a combination of factors. I had heard a couple of good reports before the downturn in the weather.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]First, it is a bit early for prime action in the shallows. I always did better starting about the middle of May and into the month of June for flogging the shallows with flies...or small plastics. Shouldn't be much spawning yet, for either bass or gills. Water temp above 65 is their preferred range. Doubt if it is there yet.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Second, the series of fronts that has gone through has likely made them a bit touchy. Especially early in the year and with water temps still below what they like for major activity. They are fair weather and warm water fishies.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]You were definitely handicapped by being limited to fishing near the shoreline. When the fish are not shallow then they are out farther. No brainer. Whenever I had trouble finding customers near shore, I had a couple of deeper slots way offshore that I would dredge with deep nymphs or small streamers. Sometimes the fish school up near one of the springs. But, if you can find them you can catch them.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]We gotta get you rigged up with sonar too. If Pelican is full, there are some spots that you can't see deep enough to find the fish with only your peepers. That is even more true when there is some color in the water. And, those fish do like to hug the bottom in the deeper pockets when the weather has been off.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Good luck on your trip to Cajun country. I am betting that when you get back that the weather and the fish will both cooperate with you on Pelican.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]