Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grass/Ghost Shrimp
Hey guys whats up...I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find some freshwater ghost shrimp...like any lakes in Los Angeles area? These are the 1inch to 1.5 inch clear shrimp you see in the aquarium stores...I'd like to net some and use a bait for bluegills...so far I have only seen scuds...I have tied some ghost shrimp flies to be used with my ultralight tackle...so has anyone seen some in any urban lakes here?...just curious...
[signature]
Hey BC. The ghost shrimp are more popular along the beaches. You need to go anywhere between Marina Del Rey down to Huntington Beach. You will see small mounds in the sand where they are hiding.
[signature]
There are some freshwater shrimp in CA. They are mostly north of San Francisco and they are on the endangered species list. Perhaps there is an alternative to using this for bait.
[signature]

Hey there guest,

I suspect you're refering to the glass shrimp, not to be Confused with the grass shrimp, which are transparent and are as stated by tubeN2.

You're going to laugh but there are some beaches in southern Cal that you can not take any living creature to use as bait so be careful. I'd drive to the local beach bait shops along PCH to get some seasonal up-to-the-minute data!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff][size 1]Those little shrimpy critters are fairly common in the tidal marshes and rivers emptying into the Gulf of Mexico. Down in "Nawlins" (Loozyanna), we scooped nets through the water weeds for as long as it took to get a few quarts of the little shrimps and then set up to fish for big redears and bluegills. They do make dandy bait.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I do not think they can be found in the western states. There are lots of "scuds" in many waters. They can get large enough to impale on hooks, but hardly worth the effort. Although, artificial scud patterns are popular with the fly flingers on many ponds and flows.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The good news is that some of the new plastics...tubes, twisters and swimbaits...come in sizes and colors to represent almost anything, including little shrimpskis. A small smoke sparkle tube jig...about 1 1/2"...on a 1/32 oz. head...will get enough inquiries to keep you busy. You can also custom color them with lines of black or dark green to enhance the "match the hatch" thing.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Surf fishermen along the Pacific coast do some serious damage with small green or brown tinted plastics, on surf perch and other close in critters. In fresh water those same plastics lay waste to big sunfish, smallies and largemouth. They are also good for big browns, where the browns have adapted to feeding on small crawdads.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Sho nuff do mis dem big brims down souf.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]