Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my yo-zuri line performance this spring
The breaking strength is anywhere from 70-100% greater than the pound test it's rated at. (They go by diameter rather than breaking strength when they rate it.) 6 pound line breaks at roughly 12 pounds of pressure, while 10 pound pushes to about 17.

The line is very hard, making for great abrasion resistance, plus it's strong even when abraded. I've gotten fish in that I wouldn't have had a prayer at if using nylon. This also makes for sliced hands if you're not careful though. This property is inherited from fluorocarbon line. Also, be certain your knots are tight before using because the knot will slip if they're loose at all - this is also due to the fact that the line is very hard.

The color is either clear, smoke, or green. I usually use smoke, as it's easier to see in air. All of them virtually disappear in water like fluorocarb line does, although it's not quite as invisible in water as pure fluorocarbon - the reflective index is thrown off by adding nylon into the mix. The color does fade the longer you use it, although I haven't found this to affect the strength of the line.

Another property of fluorocarbon that this inherits is that it's virtually impervious to the sun. It's also waterproof, meaning the line will not dry out like nylon line does.Like nylon line, it doesn't get brittle in cold weather as fluorocarbon does. It's got less stretch than nylon, but moreso than fluorocarbon.The worst part about this line is that if you get it tangled, you might as well cut and re-tie. It's virtually impossible to untangle the snarls.

It's also relatively inexpensive when you consider that it will last much longer than a traditional monofilament. You can find it at wally world in medium sized spools of about 300 yards . for me thats three rod spools full .
[signature]
Thanks for the report lonehunter.[Smile]
[signature]
You sure sold me, I'll pick some up and try it for leader material.
[signature]
That's good to know. They are always coming out with better and better lines. I was testing a line for (now I'm allowed to tell) Stren. This was a saltwater test for a freshwater line. It will be out on the market soon.

This is called the Stren XXX super line. It is like a take off of Spider Wire and Spider Line. This is the line that I was able to handle a 25lb shark with on only a 10lb line. The Leopard Shark has teeth very much like catfish and swallowed the line deep. That left the line itself in the range of the teeth. There was virtually no abrasion to the line itself and I continued to use the line for other fish as well.

This line will hit the market in about 2 months or less. Keep your eyes out for it and believe me!! It is good line. Ultra low memory, ultra smoot casting, good knot strenght, and affordable to most.
[signature]
I've read about it and considered it. How well do you think it holds up to Power Pro?
[signature]
I haven't had a chance to test the power pro. I hear that is good line also. I just got done doing an Excalibur Silver Thread product evaluation test. I was already using it on some of my poles but the test required to use only 6 and 12 lb line.

I had several snags and no breakage of line even after multiple snags on the same piece of leader material. I accidently caught close to 100 fish also including a Horn Shark and a Leopard shark on the 6lb!! They were awesome catches and the line held up real well.

I had to slip in some Yo Zuri on one of my rods. I was fishing for some Bat Rays and ended up getting spooled by the ferocious beast. The line wouldn't break though. From the looks and also the reports of some of the locals on the Island where I was, they said that that was probably only the 80lb ray that hangs out in the area. It sure put a bend on my Tuna stick!!!!
[signature]
Thanks to you guys I've added Yo-Zuri Hybrid to my pile of fishing line spool-fillers. Gonna test it out in the river tomorrow. Wish me luck!
[signature]
Man, is this stuff tuff! It almost pulled me over the rail when a tree grabbed it while heading down over the dam. Took forever to snap it. I thought my Ugly Stick would give out before this 12 lb test YoZuri.
[signature]
I told you it was good stuff[cool]
[signature]
So you did. Glad I got some. Now if it was just a little limper....
[signature]
After trying it for leader material I put 6lb on one of my bass rods and this stuff is sweet. Thanks for the review. I was going to comment on the limpness, but I'll be good.[today][Wink]
[signature]
The limpness is different with each # test that you get. I use a 20# on my ocean baitcasters and it's just fine. I do use the 6lb on my bass reels though and I found that I needed to use some Downey fabric softener to help it to smooth it out.

I believe that the lonehunter did a thread about Fabric softner on you new line.
[signature]
thanks tubeN2 , i use the fabric softner on my fly lines for the most part , it extends the life of it for an extra season or two . on the old mono line i can get a few more trips as well . i don't know how it will efect the hi-bred lines , but a simple spring type fish scale should help out in the testing . before and after the application breaking or streching points using 10 foot lenghts will give me an answer .
hey DDR , did you get a pic of that tree fish for the 16 species contest ?
[signature]
Nope, sure didn't. My 25 foot measuring tape wasn't long enough to get the length.

Do you use liquid fabric softener or rub it with the sheets?
[signature]
the mono , spool of the reel and let it soak overnight , the fly line i take off the reel and let it lay in the stuff . the liquid stuff .
a rince in warm water the next day and i'm all set to go .
[signature]
Any particular brand that you use? Or just any old liquid fabric softener?
[signature]