Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chatfield??
Has anybody fished this lately?? I heard (too late) last Spring about a terrific smallmouth bite for big fish along the dam. I think it was late April or early May. The info I got was that it only lasted a couple of weeks. Anybody know anything about it? Has it already come and gone this year? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don
[signature]
now that sounds like my speed. I like a slow row for deep water bass action..... pulled up my biggest hawgs that way.
[signature]
Don,

The smallmouth bite should start picking up right now actually if it were'nt for the cold that just hit us. I saw a report on another site about guys getting into them last week. The big fish are catchable all spring and into the summer. Problem is the recreational boating there just makes fishing tough. Gotta keep your head on a swivel for jet ski's and big swells from power boats.

We do the best fishing brown, chartruese, and black Yamamoto grubs, fire tiger Rattlin Rogues, and zara puppies. Had some success with poppers and devil horses as well.

Topwaters are a great way to find fish, and than go back over the area with a grub or jerk bait. You just won't get alot of hook ups with the topwater baits. Smallies seem like they just slash them, knock them out of the water, etc. I bet I only hook up 1 out of 10 strikes. They just don't inhale a topwater like largemouths do.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT Bill-
And thanks for the info. Do you find the larger smallmouth on the dam or elsewhere? I've been wondering about fishing the gravel flats on the south end for them. I do well for bigger smallmouth fishing the flats at Flaming Gorge than I do fishing the bigger broken rock.

I saw your post about LMB at Pinewood, too. I'll find out the answer and get back to you.
[signature]
There is a large flat over on the plum creek side of the dam, right where the dam starts which is really good during the spawn.

I like to look for spots where the big chunk rock ends and starts tapering into either gravel, sand, or small fist sized rocks. That is where these fish seem to spawn. Same thing goes for Pueblo.

Also, not sure how long you have been in Denver Don, or how long you've been fishing Chatfield, but there used to be a heron rookery on the southeast side of the lake. The trees have all rotted and are gone, but the stumps are still there and can be excellent a bit later in the year as well, especially with natural colored grubs and crankbaits.

I have never really fished the sandy areas on the south end enough to tell you one way or another. They're just so big that it is kinda overwelming to fish. Feels like looking for a needle in a haystack.

There are some massive smallies in that lake though. At least by Colorado standards. I've caught a bunch in the 17-18 inch range over the last 8 years or so, the biggest being a smidge over 19 that might have been a state record if she was'nt spawned out. Your gonna have to fish through the little guys at times, but the big girls are there.

Like I said, a great way to find them, is just searching with topwaters. It's rare you get it slick enough for spooks, but poppers, and especially devil horses can be fished in a chop. Even V waking a rapala, rogue or bomber long A can draw them up. Bomber long A's are best for this as you can cast them a mile and with a high rod tip you can V wake them pretty easily with their small diving lips. Just have a slow sinking plastic rigged and ready and cast right where you got a boil or blow up. That is how I got that 19 incher. She blew up on a spook and I tossed a grub on a 1/16oz jig right on her. She gulped it.

Good luck!
[signature]
I would appreciate some info on Pinewood, as I have'nt found any. I fish Lon Hagler up that way alot for bass when it is high, and I used to fish Quincy religiously. Both have some great muskies in them. Boyd is another lake that when it is high has some great bass fishing.

The largemouth don't get the attention they probably deserve on the front range, although I won't really complain, less pressure and more fish for me! I catch a few fish over 5lbs every year here. You just have to go out and fish hard for them. It does'nt take but one big ole largemouth to make my day! I uploaded a pic of one I caught at Quincy last year.
[signature]
Nice fish!!! I just posted some info on Pinewood for you under that topic. No bass, unfortunately. I do love warm water fishing. I've been in Colorado since '71, so I remember the old heron rookery at Chatfield.

I really appreciate the detailed information you posted about Chatfield. I don't fish Chatfield as much as I should. I live in Highlands Ranch so it's just a quick trip over there. My blood pressure just doesn't handle being buzzed by pwc's and water skiers very well, I guess. LOL Something about the lack of common courtesy that seems almost u8niversal on that lake. But, I think it's time I take a shot at it sometime in the next few days.

Do you ever fish those South Platte Ponds north of C-470 next to the South Platte? Been thinkin' about taking the canoe over there.

Once again, I really appreciate the info.
[signature]
I hear ya about the jet skis and water skiers! That place is plain dangerous in my opinion during the late spring and through out the summer. I usually just get out there at the crack of dawn, and fish until the boat traffic starts to get to heavy.

I've never really fished those ponds all that much, I did when I was a teen and I did'nt have a boat, but it's probably been a good ten years since I have. I do know a couple guys that fish them though and they catch some nice bass, both large and smallmouths. Not sure which specific pond they do the best on.
[signature]