Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishlake Wednesday
Two of us made the long trip to Fish Lake today. Arrived a 0800, -10*. Drove around to Joe's Bush and beyond. Entire lake is capped. There was a red tent north of Joe's Bush but no truck. Looked as if they had left it over night.

I have usually done better toward the Bowry marina and Mackinaw point so we went back there. Ice looked sketchy but everywhere we drilled there was 4" of ice. Newer ice was clear and slick - older ice had 2" of snow on top and was easier walking so we followed snow paths out. We fished from 22' out to 74' of water. Best was 35-40'.

The sun came up and with no wind we didn't even put up the tent as it warmed up fast. 30* when we left.

Fishing was slow with smaller splake, 1 beautiful silver rainbow (thought for a minute it was a koke - but no) and 1 sucker. Right before noon when we left, I did get a 16" splake.

When we left the red tent north of Joe's Bush was gone but there were several trucks and around 7 fishermen in that area. I am not sure, but I don't think there was anyone else on the lake.

So is the ice safe for FL? That depends on your definition of safe. I generally feel safe on 4", though clear ice is scarry because that 4" looks like 1" from above. You can see fish and weed beds through the ice and that can be unnerving. It cracked and popped all day and one time shook sideways and felt like an earthquake. Also I did not check the middle or south end other than from the road I could not see any open water. We fished and did not take a cold swim. You decide. It won't be long even for those larger in stature at the current temps.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, pretty crazy you did not catch any perch or were you fishing too deep for them?
[signature]
I did not target perch, and in general fished too deep, especially at fish lake. I know most everyone else on here loves perch, but not me except for bait. I was hoping for kokanee, but still haven't figured them out.
[signature]
[quote brookie] I know most everyone else on here loves perch, but not me except for bait. [/quote]

I love perch.

[laugh]
[signature]
Really. I thought even if there was nothing else we could agree on, perch was the one thing. [Tongue]
[signature]
Same for us fish lake perch for bait. When possible stop catch a couple then move away from them. Would fish for them there if there was any size.
We also are looking to get the kokes thru the ice. If you figure em out let me know and we will do the same.
Headed down tomorrow I think.
[signature]