Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artificial baits nab big bass
Every fisherman knows that artificial baits should be fished in a manner that makes the artificial bait imitate its living counterpart. This theory cannot apply to all artificial baits however, as some of the artificials do not resemble anything that swims or crawls.

One area where imitation really works is when the angler successfully imitates a feeding bream or shiner.

A bass fishing friend of mine told me about watching bream and shiners feeding in ultra clear water. That friend observed when bluegill and shad were in a horizontal position, they were extremely alert to an approaching bass and could often scurry to safety before becoming dinner. It was when baitfish were in the vertical or near vertical position that they seemed to lack the ability to react fast enough to escape a lighting attack by a bass.

It seems that when bream and shiners begin to feed on the bottom with their mouth pointed almost straight down, they hang in suspension for several seconds and then dart to the bottom to grab whatever they have spotted. Big bass seem to be aware that baitfish are more vulnerable at this time too.

My friend noted in his observations that when the baitfish were in the horizontal position, bass were not as likely to try and catch one as when they spotted one in the vertical position. But when a baitfish went vertical to slurp up a morsel off the bottom, several bass would immediately attack.

My friend soon began rigging artificial floating plugs to imitate a feeding baitfish. He began by placing a sinker, with just enough weight to take the floating plug to the bottom, about 6 inches from the bait, and pegging it with a toothpick so it would not slide on the line.

I have tried this method several times and it works. It also has the advantage of getting the plug straight down to the bottom in the body of water. You can achieve depth with a deep diving plug, but you will usually have to reel it several feet before it obtains its' maximum depth. Without the weight, you may pass over the targeted spot before the bait gets deep enough. Strikes sometimes occur while the plug is sinking, but usually occur when the rod tip is slowly raised and lowered after the weight hits bottom. This imitates the vertical feeding baitfish.

The weight will allow you to keep the bait just above the weed bed or other vegetation, no matter how irregular the bottom may be.

Grab a few lipped floating plugs and experiment in the bathtub or swimming pool. A little trial and error will reveal the right combination of weigh and sink rate. But be prepared for a few giggles when your sweetie comes into the bathroom and sees you down on your knees jiggling a plug in the bathwater.
[signature]
Well I haven't tried the bath tub yet, but I do experiment in the 33 gal. fish tank. They don't seem to mind and the wife thinks I've lost only a few marbles.[crazy] Glad to see there are others that do this testing as well. Thanks for the tip.
[signature]
Sometimes you got to do what you got to do.[cool]
[signature]
i'v never really done that. i will have to try that with some of my new baits. thanks!
[signature]
It will help to give you a better idea on how fast they sink and some of the true action of the way that you rigged it up.
[signature]
I always test what I can in my aquarium. As soon as I can get into an actual house I plan on getting at least a 55 gallon so I can cast into it too!

Heh, I've actually caught some of my fish by checking the action of various lures in my aquarium.
[signature]