Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spinning Gear for Tubes
[cool][blue][size 1]fishmagnet posed a good question on the flyrods. I would like to toss out a similar question on spinning gear for tubing.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I build most of my own rods. Over the years I have just about standardized on 7 foot spin sticks, in everything from ultralight to medium heavy. The one thing I do when building a rod for tubing is to make the lower part of the handle about two inches shorter than "off-the-shelf" rods. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]This reduces the incidence of catching the handle of the rod on your vest or parts of your anatomy when casting or fighting fish. It also shifts the balance of the rod back a little and fighting a fish is more like the feel of a fly rod...with the longer rod ahead of the reel.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have made and used spinning rods up to 8 feet long for use in my tubes. For the most part, the extra lenght is unhandy, unless you are bubble chuckin with a long leader behind the bubble.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I also use the 12 foot crappie rods made by B&N and have made some long "dip sticks" from fly rod blanks. These are great for sneaking up on shoreline structure and dropping a small jig down to crappies or other structure loving fishies. It gets interesting, though when a big ol kittyfish or bass munches the little jigs you intended for smaller species.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have several powerful "dipsticks" I have built on 10 and 11 foot saltwater blanks. I have used these for vertical drops along the edges of cattails and reeds when big cats and bass are in the cover. When a 20 pound cat grabs a big baitbug and heads out it will almost haul you out of your tube. I have had heavy hooks straightened out by those bad boys.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Oh yeah, on those big dipsticks, I make them both with a standard handle setup and with the reel seat at the rear, like a fly rod. That can help the fatigue factor if you are dipping heavy jigs all day, and it gives good leverage for hooksets and doing battle.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Just remembered I had some pics in my files. Here are a couple.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#800040][size 2]Hey there TubeDude, [/size][/#800040]

[#800040][size 2]Looks like I have to get back to physics perhaps geometry. Now wouldn't you think that a 7' spinning rod would suit you bettter because of your height as a 6½' would work for me since I am a lot shorter than you? In fact my favorite spinning rod is only a 6 footer. The exception naturally is my fly and steelhead rods of which the latter is 9'.[/size][/#800040] [font "Arial"]

[#800040][size 2] [/size][/#800040][/font]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]As always, my friend, rod selection is always a matter of personal choice. Forget the scientific formulas. If the rod feels good and fishes good, it doesn't matter what the length or action is. And, after all, FEEL is probably the most subjective thing about fishing.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]For example, I know fisherfolk who love the Ugly Stick rods. Myself, I have owned a few, and now own none. I only bought one. I either found the others or won them in fishing derbies. I sold a couple at yard sales and gave away the others to family or to a young kid who needed gear. I found them to be too heavy and too insensitive for my style of "touch" fishing with light lures.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The length of a spinning rod is subject to the same factors of the flyrods we have just been discussing. The longer the rod the more leverage for casting and playing fish, and the more line control.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you enjoy "washing" spinners and hardbaits, a shorter rod WILL give you more casting accuracy for pinpoint casting to shoreline cover, etc. On the other hand, if you want to make longer casts with lighter jigs or other lures, a longer stick with a fast tip will get the job done better.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you do a lot of casting with light jigs, you need to maintain tight line and absolute feel of what is going on at the business end at all times. Crappies, bluegill and many other species will only register a light "tick" when they suck in a jig. If you have too much line on or in the water, that subtle take is not efficiently telegraphed to the rod. That's where a long stick will help keep more line up out of the water and help maintain a better feel.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Just as with fly casting, you need to pay attention to the balance between angler size and strength with the weight and action of the rod. A properly balanced rod allows you to cast all day long, with proper wrist action, without fatigue. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Again, technique is important. As I mentioned with fly casting, many spin fishermen use their whole arm in casting, when by using the wrist to first load the rodtip and then cast, you can get more distance and more accuracy. I see a lot of guys flailing their arms around as they cast and I wonder how they can hold up for a whole day of fishing.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I should have known that you would make your rods. You make everything else. You are an amazing man.
Most of my spinning rods are 6 1/2 feet long. My favorite for sensitivity is my 721 Loomis rod. I use that for most of my jigging. I would own more Loomis rods if I could afford them. I also like my St Croix spinning rod but it is a two piece rod and I think you lose some sensitivity with a two piece rod. Do you save money by making your rods or do you just do it to get a rod that works better for you? Where do you purchse the components? (Whoops! Here I go again.)

Lloyd

P.S. Thank you for sending me the pictures to guide me through the process of making the jig spinners. I am a little concerned about making the loop at the end of the wire after all of the spinner components are put in place. But I will figure it out with practice.
[signature]
I'll let TD answer your other questions but yes you can save a ton of money building your own rods. Most of the time it's around half the cost. Or you can save less money and upgrade the components and really trick it out if you want. The trade off is the time you put in and if the rod breaks then you only get a new blank if it has a warranty and you have to build it over again.

FM
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]OH OH! Looks like the mad professor is picking up a new fishing hobby.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Hey Lloyd, I echo fishmagnet's sentiments. YES you can save money on making your own rods...or, as he suggests, buy more rod for the money.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have been building my own rods since Herters was still one of the major mail order fishing catalogs. After they left, Cabelas became my primary source of rod blanks and other components. Since then, Janns and Barlows have both added a lot of new rod building items to their lines. There is also Mudhole and Hook & Hackle...and probably a hundred more places to get the stuff.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I do not believe I have ever built a rod just to save money. If so, then I have saved so much money I am now broke. Look at the attached pic for verification. And, those are only my current supply. I have made hundreds for others, sold some and "bequeathed" lots more to family and friends.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]When I shop for a blank, and the guides, handle and other components for a rod, I do so to achieve a specific weight, feel, action, etc. While there are increasingly more rods available at a reasonable price, it is difficult for a discriminating angler to find exactly what he or she wants "off the rack".[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]My ego tells me that I can tell the difference between subtle variations in a rod's "action"...fast, slow or medium. My pride tries to convince me that it is worth it for me to spend more on the most advanced and most sensitive blank materials. My experience tells me that I can build a better rod than is generally available at an affordable price. This is especially true in the proper placement of guides, for the maximum in feel and casting efficiency.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]It is not always true that you can build a rod for less than you can buy one. I am amazed at the quality of some rods I have seen at Wally World and in the closeout bins at big discount sports outlets...sometimes for under $30. Most of the rods I build cost more than that just for the blanks. In fact, if I wanted to buy a Loomis GL3 7 foot spinning blank, I would have to pay $90 to $105 these days.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Those "economy" rods are ideal for folks on a budget, or for anglers who do not fish enough to need more than one rod...or who do not appreciate the subtle differences in the different lengths, weights and actions. But, for the terminal fishaholic, there will never be enough rods in the arsenal. There's always that "just one more" you need for some special kind of fishing you do...or would like to do.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Hey, Lloyd, I can do a quick pictorial on the top loop of the spinner for you. It requires a pair of those round nose pliers and knowing how to do the bending. You can make a serviceable loop with a plain old pair of longnose, but it will have at least one straight side. With a little practice you can turn out nice round, neat loops every time.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The secret, if there is one, is to bend the wire over at about a 60 degree angle before you make the loop. Also, you can use a nail or some other round metal object to wrap the loop around. I used to make my own wire forming tools by having a series of nails up through a board...with the sharp points filed off. I could whip out loops quickly. Today, there are several tools on the market for doing the same thing, but you can work faster and more efficiently with the round nosed pliers and a little practice.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey Pat,

You have peaked my interest once again. Off to a new fishing hobby! Where do you find the information or instructions for rod building? Are there any good internet sites? Many thanks!

Lloyd
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Lloyd, the good news is that there are hundreds of sites...if you plug in "Rod Wrapping", "making fishing rods", rod building, etc. A lot of them are commercial sites, trying to sell completed rods or components. But, they all containe valuable background info and terminologies to help you expand what you already think you know.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you have the Cabelas Tackle Craft catalog, the inside front page contains some good basic info, and you can also find hints and help on Jann's Netcraft. There is also [url "http://mudhole.com/"]http://mudhole.com/[/url], and several other sites.[/size][/#0000ff]

[size 1][#0000ff]One site I found that has some good info for beginners is [url "http://www.flyfisherman.com/rodbuilding/"][#800080]http://www.flyfisherman.com/rodbuilding/[/#800080][/url][/#0000ff][/size]

[size 1][#0000ff]It is slanted toward fly rods, but there is much that is basic. You can also visit the Rod Building forum on BFT. I have checked it out from time to time. Not too busy, but some good info there, and some good links.[/#0000ff][/size]

[size 1][#0000ff]Let me know what kind of rod you would like to start with and I can work with you on a step by step basis. Too bad you are so far from Kaysville. Hooked Tackle Shop has had a couple of classes and probably plans to have some more.[/#0000ff][/size]

[size 1][#0000ff]Do some homework when you have a chance and let me know when you are focusing on something in particular.[/#0000ff][/size]
[signature]
Hey TD

My wife just saw the pic of your office and said that is what mine will look like someday, and I completely agree. You have an addicting effect on us poor fishermen so we all want to build our own stuff. I can already tell I am going to get pretty much "hooked" on making my own rods and tackle. I finally got my jig mold and am now painting up my first batch of jigs. Thanks for the addiction,

Jed
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hi Jed. Good to hear from you. Are you going to have some time this summer to work on your "addiction"?[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Just a word of encouragement. As you are, I once was. That is, I was a young student, married, on a tight budget. For quite a few years of my fishing existence I had one or two spinning rods and one fly rod. I "made do" because I had to, but I lusted after more tackle and the opportunities to use it.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Once I was out of school and employed in positions that afforded more than just rent and food, I began to add to my arsenal. Some of my jobs allowed me to travel around the country and to sample the fishing in different states, for different species. Of course every new situation REQUIRED different rods, reels and lures. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]You can rationalize this stuff better if you have the finances to back it up. Still, it requires an understanding spouse. NEVER try to present the argument that you can justify new tackle by catching enough fish to offset the family food budget. You will "catch it" every time you come home with only a Big Grin on your face and no fillets for the table.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]As I have stated many times, I started making flies before age 10...but did not get good at it until I was out of high school. I did not start making jigs and spinners until I was several years out of college. I did start experimenting with making rods in my mid twenties, and one of my jobs (deckhand on a fishing boat) required that I wrap and repair rods when we were not out fishing.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I did not set out to accumulate a room full of fishing toys, and the components to make a lot more of them. It just kinda evolved over the years. I can sit down at my bench today and turn out literally thousands of dollars worth of tackle, without having to buy more stuff. But, why do I still keep ordering from Cabelas, BassPro, Janns, Barlows and others? Just because. That's why.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The truth is, it is cheaper to make your own gear, but only after you have all the tools and components to do so. If I lost everything in a fire tomorrow, I could not afford to restock my playroom unless I won the lottery. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]So, my young friend, you have set a worthy goal for yourself. It will take many years to get there, and the journey is its own reward. You will have many pleasurable hours crafting your own custom tackle, and even more enjoyment in catching fish on what you have made.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]But, can you guess what ultimately constitutes some of the greatest rewards? I don't know about you, but I take great pleasure in "downloading" the knowledge I have dug out and struggled to learn over the years. I am elated when someone else "catches fire" and takes the first step towards learning some of the crafts available in tackle making. Hopefully, someday you will have the opportunity to pass on what you have learned too.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]WHEW! Sorry bout that.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
thanks TD
[signature]