Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Line
I need to restring my reel and was wondering what type of line to use?

There are so many to choose from now braided, spider line, and good ol monofilament. I use a spin cast reel and usually fish for trout and on occasion cats.
[signature]
I use 8lb spider wire and have never been happier. I don't loose lures, just bend hooks. I can get hung up un a tree and still keep my rig or pull up limbs from the bottom its amazing stuff.
[signature]
Someone told be that spiderwire is difficult to cast with, have you had any problems?
[signature]
Has anyone had problems casting with spiderline?
[signature]
For me it all depends on what I am fishing for. Most of the time I use 6lb. stren clearblue easy.If I am going for wiper I use 8lb. stren.
[signature]
I've been using 6lb stren and i'm not at all happy with it. I'm not sure if I got abad spool or what, but it's so stiff that i have a hard time casting.

I was thinking about going to spiderwire or something like that. I've got some heavy duty fireline on one reel, and it casts pretty dang well.
[signature]
The only problem I have had with Spiderwire is related to its limpness. It is so limp that it is easy for it to knot arond your rod tip. Not usually a huge deal, but a pain in the neck at times depending upon how you like to fish. You also need to make sure you have a rod with top quality ceramic guides or, over time, its abraisive exterior can actually cut into the guides, particularly the tip guide. I don't use the stuff anymore. One spool was enough for me.
[signature]
Not any problem at all. I don't need to throw anything into the next county so if I can throw 100ft or less that just fine with me. The stuff has a note on the spool not to use your teeth to try to cut it, and believe me you'll chip a tooth before the line breaks that way. And if you're fishing someplace with lots of branches in the way, if you tie a good knot you'll pull out the branch and still keep you lure, you'll just have to straighten up a hook a little. I love this stuff, its my 3rd year using it and can't think of using anything else.
[signature]
Don, The spider wire I use does not have a rough texture and I've been using it for now going on my 3rd year with the same rod and there are no abrasive marks on the tip of the rod and when I go out fishing its a long hard day with lots of casting a reeling, and there are countless trips during the summer. Last year I went out over 60 times. True the line is limp and can wrap around the rod tip upon ocassion. And once in a while it knots up but when it does you can just cinch down and the knot practically disappears and it seems not to diminish the tinsel strength of the line at that point. One other thing I've noticed is that even with green color of the line once its in the water the line disappears. Until I find something better, this is all I will use.
[signature]
I'd like to hook into a wiper sometime and I would have no fear using the 8lb spider wire. It is much stronger the the 8lb test indicates. And it does not loose strength at the knots like mono.
[signature]
Thanks FFM-
Maybe I should give it another try. I last used it a number of years ago and wasn't happy with it. I never did try the lighter weights. I was using 30 lb or so for pike if I remember right. I've pretty much gone back to either straight mono or to Fireline, depending on the application.
[signature]
I've never used the heaver lines and I know they are braided or feel like braided line so I could see that there could be a problem with rubbing on the line guides, but if you fish for non-heavy weight fish I think you'll be very happy with it.

Have fun
[signature]
Thanks for the info, I'm going to switch to spiderwire mainly because I've lost about $30 in lures in the last week.
[signature]
anyone here have any experience/opinions of spiderwire vs the other super braids?
[signature]
I swear by braided and fused lines for trolling and jigging. However, I do not use them when casting with a spincast reel. Freshly spooled mono literally springs off of a spincast spool when you cast which makes for a smoother and longer cast. It wants to straighten out. Braided and fused lines do not want to straighten out. They're limp. The difference on a baitcaster, though noticeable, is not nearly as great as on a spincast.

Notice that I said "freshly spooled mono". If I were casting for fish and a guy offered me a choice between two rods that hadn't been respooled in over a year, one with mono and one with braided/fused line, I'd take the one with the braided/fused line. That's because I know the old mono has taken on the spools shape and will no longer spring off of it. It will fight coming off of the spool and will come off looking like some kind of curled up party decoration that will not feed through the guides. The old braided/fused line will still be limp and castable.
[signature]
I love the fireline that I use when I chase Wipers. I use 10lb and have no complaints. Wonderful to cast with.
[signature]