Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat question
My friends boat engine oil has a creamy look to it! I think he has a leak letting water in it.I could be wrong.His engine is a 175hp johnson .Hopefully his engine isnt done for! Any engine knowledgeable people out there with any advice?
[signature]
IS it the lower gear case or engine ?
[signature]
yes is it a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke if it is just the lower unit replecae the lower oil and get me seals for the drain and fill plugs then you should be ok. but if it's a 4 stroke ummmm there could be a crack or a head gasket blown. so i need alittle more info.
[signature]
If it is in the lower end, the most common place for a leak is in the prop shaft seal. Not to much to have replaced. But leaks in other places can pose a little more of a challeng. And like was said earlier, if it is a 4 stroke, with oil in the crank case....lots of problems.
[signature]
problems yes, if its a 4 stroke...but not neccesarily a bad engine at this point, if it still runs it is probaly ok it just need those seals found, replaced/repaired and put back together correctly...proper torque on head bolts is a must, so first get a service manual for the engine, read it on head gaskets and stuff...if its a 2cycle I dont know, I am new to the 2 cycle game as well as the lower unit part of outboards....but the engine part on a 4 cycle is no different from a car....except smaller of course...an engine is an engine....they look different but do the same thing, with the same parts...locations may vary. if it were MY boat, I would take it to a professional for a diagnosis and estimate of repair cost.....then you have two options, have a pro fix it, or since you now know what is wrong....take the time to fix it your self, its a matter of how much time you want off the water....i know once you get on a boat to fish...you dont want to walk shorelines too often after that. or if there is a question of it being worth it....buy a new motor and keep that one as a spare then fix it at your leisure.

Laters,
[signature]