Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Sunday 5-09-04 (report)
HA69 and I went fishing for wipers today. We fished from 2:30-8:30. The wipers where a little harder to come by today but we did manage to boat 6 and lost a couple others plus a catfish that HA69 said was the biggest he has ever caught . We trolled at 3.3mph and when ever we got a fish while turning it was on the inside sideplanner. There was'nt many boats on the water today and the water was smooth all day. Surface temperature was 66 degrees and got up to 69 in some of the shallow areas.

DanielJRioux, we fished with black&silver shadraps,blue&silver shad raps and rattlin rapalas (shad imitation) rattlin rapalas did'nt get anything today.
[signature]
have to say the wipers are looking fat and healthy this year can't wait until the 22nd to put a smack down on you guys
[signature]
Go easy on this rookie , Chris . I been in qualifying mode for the MGB Pro Team circuit . I think I am ready for it now , or should I say ready to win it . Wish I could of brought in the last fish to the boat , but I will get him again in 2 weeks . Looked like a dandy too . Catfish was a surprise eating my rapala . But not my biggest . LOL Oh yea , Chris , a tip for you , got to put the marshmallow on before the worm to get these wipers . LOL [Tongue]

Another great trip with the master of trolling willard wipers . Thanks Mike !!
[signature]
Oh sorry my mistake it was the 21" wiper that was your biggest ever.
[signature]
i'll remember that marshmellow trick gotta give it up for mike he does catch the wipers i have never taken a trip to willard with him and not caught a fish
[signature]
so what area did you fish today ?
[signature]
We fished all over . Started out on the east side went over to the mouth of the south marina,by the island then went over to the west dike.
[signature]
bear with me here i'm a little dence at times you got fish all over the lake or did any area produce better
[signature]
Glad to know the Willard is picking up. Hope this weeks cold front doesn't last too long.
[signature]
dang that is a huge catfish i didnt know they grewt that big in willard. how do you guys do it? wow
[signature]
Aquman, we fished all over but only found one area at the south marina that had an active school of fish. We did pick up a single fish in two other areas but could'nt get any more to bite.
[signature]
Nice report. I hope to be out there this week end. Hope to have as much luck as you.
If you were catchin fish when you were turnin that tells you that you were

trollin to fast..
[signature]
We also caught them straight out the back of the boat while driving straight. We trolled 3.3 mph so I figured that would be the fastest you would want to troll since they would hit while driving straight or on the inside planer while turning.
[signature]
Wipers like a change of speed, some times going faster is better, sometimes going slower will trigger a strike. We have caught them while zig zaging and while pumping our rods. Bottom line is you got to do what ever it takes to get those wipers to strike. WH2
[signature]