Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You might just be a Red Neck if..
[center]You might just be a Red Neck if….[/center] [center] [/center]

Do You know what to do if you see this?…

[center]Pic B1[/center] [center]Pic B2[/center] [center]Pic B3[/center] [center] [/center] [center]Just incase you don’t know what you are looking at… there are three birds (Purple Gracklings) that’s right. Baby birds’ just days out of their eggs and don’t belong out of their nest.[/center] [center] [/center] [center]Though their camouflage helps them to blend in to their surroundings they will sitcom to natural and man made disasters. Inches away form my drive way and just a couple feet away form the road and just a couple open doors away form the neighbors cats and dowgs and just minutes away form the next torrential rain storm.[/center] [center] [/center] [center]Remembering what my momma told me back in my days as an infant “don’t touch the baby birds because if you do the momma bird will abandon them.[/center] [center] [/center] [center]I looked all over the tree for the nest.[/center] [center] [/center] [center]What is a man to do? I know in just a few minutes the birds will be dead when the storms set in…[/center] [center] [/center] [center]I needed a solution in a “Jiffy” [/center] [center] [/center] [center]Walking past my tomato plant and remembering that I pulled the plant form its fiber pot (Jiffy Pot) to set it in the ground. Ok I now had a base for the new nest[/center] [center] [/center] [center]Now what to use for a liner? This one was easy, I had a clump of dead grass in my flower bead that I had not yet cleaned this year. I grabbed several hands full and carefully placed it in the nest making sure I cupped the center to make the nest comfortable for the hatchlings. [/center] [center] [/center] [center]. But how was I going to place the new nest in the tree? Looking around I saw the wire I saved from a popcorn pan (Jiffy Pop).[/center] [center] [/center] [center]Now where to place the nest? Looking at the tree just over top the baby birds I began to think like a bird. Where is the safest place to put the nest? I want it as high up as I could get it, I want it solid enough for the parents to land on, I want it sheltered from the wind and rain. With these parameters I selected the east side of the tree at the trunk as high as I could reach using a small branch to support the bottom. This is where I wired the new make shift nest to the tree.[/center] [center] [/center] [center]This being done taking meticulous care to not step on the precious newborns I still was not certain how to go about placing the chicks in the nest. I knew for a fact that when the storm set in if the birds were left on the ground they would die. If I laid my hands on them the parents would abandon them for sure. Lets not forget about the deadly viruses being carried around by the black birds. But what if they don’t have the virus?[/center] [center] [/center] [center]Throwing caution to the wind. I grabbed a couple sheets of paper towel and picked up the infants and carefully placed them in the nest. This was their best last hope. I backed away form the nest and went in the house. [/center] [center] [/center] [center]I stepped out the door 10 minutes later and looked in the direction of the nest and saw the parents looking on the ground for their young. All I could hope for was the chicks to call their parents up in to the tree that as just 6 feet from where they were last seen. I again went back in the house and hopped for the best.[/center] [center] [/center] [center]5 minutes passed before the heavy rains set in. thunder and lightning shaking the house I hadn’t a clue as to how the younglings were doing. 2 hours passed before the rains subsided. [/center] [center] [/center] [center]I walked over to the nest expecting to find drowned bird in the nest. I saw one of the parents sitting on the makeshift nest with its wings spread over the pot like a canopy. [/center] [center] [/center] [center]A day later I walked over to check on the nest inhabitants, momma and poppa were guarding the nest from other birds and a pesky squirrel who wanted to put nuts and seeds under the tree. [/center] [center] [/center] [center]I took this picture to show that you must be a red neck if your nest looks like this.[/center] Pic BN3 [font "Arial"][size 2][/size][/font] [font "Arial"][size 2]rember kids dont try this at home[/size][/font]
[signature]
[Smile][Smile][Smile][laugh][laugh]CUTE LITTLE ONES DAVE, NOW THAT YOUR A FATHER AGIN HAHA and good nest. ya odne good! haha hey is the swan still around??? catch ya. mare[Smile]
[signature]
yep, she is still around, she had 7 ugly ducklings this year [Tongue]
[signature]
has she stayed the winters??? or gone? that,s cool! i bet she,s big huh! bet she,s beautiful too. we dont git swans here.just the canadian geese. they georgeous too. alot of em! that is cool. bet the little ones are cute too. alter[Smile][Wink]
[signature]
pretty cool dave [cool].

first swaney and now an entire family .

i'm nursing the domestic featherd pet of ours , it seems to have cought a cold . those wax worms intended for the spring gills are now being used to give the chick some strength .

the herons arived a week ago , but so far only one of the regular nesters has been spoted .

sunday the hummingbird made his apearance looking for the feeder in it's hanging spot .

not to be outdone in staking out a teritory , wasps are bussing all around the house and so are the skeeters . the deerflys gatta go thou , those suckers hurt !

ya named those birds yet ?
[signature]
Of corce,

Lary Curly, and AL...[sly] (Just Kiddin,) "Moe"

I had been watchin for the huming birds to pas on by, they must have came through on one of them days when I had no ententions of sticking my head out of the window....
[signature]
That's cool Dave!
[signature]