Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cocoa Beach Report
This has been a great week to be on the water. We have caught 10 lbs trout on top water. I have watched schools of hungry reds grow from schools of 50 to 150. And best of all, we caught reds on top water. <br>If you are wanting to catch a memory this is the time! Clean off your rods and reels, put on some fresh line, (book a guide) and go catching. Now is the time that everyone asks me about. So, if you have asked me to let you know when they are here, THEY ARE HERE!!! I only have a few days open this month and about 13 days in June.<br>REDFISH REPORT<br>This has been a great week for reds. There have been single slot size fish holding in less than a foot and schools up to 150 holding on the outer edge of the flats in 2 to 3 feet. A few smaller bulls have been schooling in 4 to 5 feet in groups up to about 50. Most of the reds we found have been hungry as long as you do not pressure them to hard. <br>When I find schools of reds such as these I like to pole to within about 50 feet of them and make as many casts at them as I can without spooking them. Once these fish have spooked I stay about 100 feet away form them to give them enough time to settle down. Once they start to fin again I pole back in casting range and start working my lure again.<br>This has been one of the best weeks I have had this year for reds. Last Friday I had the pleasure of fishing with John Passanisi and Capt. Terry Lamielle on my home flats on the Banana River. It isn't very often I get a chance to get a line wet with clients on the boat but Friday was a day I want forget for a long time. We put 11 nice reds in the boat with in 6 hours for 20 to around 40 inches. Most of our reds were caught on Cotee's Reel Magic and High Roller's Rip Roller. <br>TROUT REPORT <br>Trout fishing has been great this past week. All of our fish were caught on top water and ranged from 15 to 30 inches. One gator caught this week on a Rip Roller went just over 9 lbs. Most of the trout we caught this week were holding in 2 feet or less and holding near structure and schools of bait. These fish were active all day. <br>last year we put some big trout in the boat this time of the year. My current record is 6 trout in one day over 30 inches caught on top water. This year I am armed with a new lure I know can top last years catch. The gator trout are here! Over the past few week s I have been seeing large trout starting to work their way up on the flats and the week they decided they wanted to play. We have caught a few of these big boys up to 28 inches on top water this week. If history repeats itself these fish should only be getting larger as summer moves in. There is only one thing to keep in mind, These fish are only here for a short time in good numbers. Over the past few years I have noticed a trend, they come in in may and move back into deeper water by July. So, If you want to have the best shot a landing a gator trout, get out before the summer heat pushes these fish into deeper water. <br>Tackle report  <br>Over the past weeks I have been using one of G-Loomis's 10' 6' spinning rods. This rod is a rocket luncher for top water plugs. This past week we had schools of reds that had just moved out of conventional tackles range so I brought out the big guns and tossed a plug just over them and pulled a red out of a school that would have gotten away. This rod fought a red like a surf rod with 8 lbs test. <br>When I bought this rod I was planing on fishing the surf for pompano due to its ability to cast so far. My furthest cast so far with 8 lbs line is just over 275 feet. Yes, just under the size of a foot ball field. I started thinking about how spooky trout like to be and when schools of reds are just out of range and put it on the boat. <br>If you are looking for something you can get some great distance with light tackle this rod is a must. They run about $165.00 for the GL-2 at the Fly Fisherman. If you call or go by to ask about them, just tell them that you want the same rod that I use. <br>I am currently trying out some new line that has just come on the market. I will tell you more about it in my next report. <br>This week all of our fish we caught where on:  <br>Cotee's Reel Magic<br>High Roller's Rip Roller<br><br><br>See you on the water<br>Capt. Doug Blanton<br>Indian River Adventures<br>321-432-9470