Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay 5/15/04 Mosquitoes, Eyes, and Wipers that will wipe your smile off ..
Arrived at 8 am to see Old coot unloading with his friend. Then they had the jump on us getting his 15 horse ahead of us... I was too slow because I was prepping my rods before starting up. Never really did catch up to him til later. LOL His boat is faster than mine or it does seems so... Ha.

Mosquitoes were out in full force today, and I don't recall it being that bad last year at the BFT party. They sure bothered the living hell out of both me and Jas. They sure made it less enjoyable even with deet. They would fly around the deet, and still very visable... they sorta of covered my boat with their ugly bodies! It was terrible! My white long sleeved t-shirt was all messed up from those damn buggers! When I arrived home, my wife was horrified to see that shirt!

Trolled the south east corner I caught the first wiper about 2/3 pounder, gave up a great fight once hooked, made for struggling to bring in the sideplaner into the boat, so I can free up the line... wahooooo lots of fun fighting! It was caught on a Willard Special (Prism shad with mylar tail)

Then my friend Jas caught a walleye... the only walleye of the day! Dang! Then it went quiet during the middle of the day... saw BLM trolling in sort of a circle in the middle of the lake, so I decided to join the trolling party LOL... then saw Old coot again in the circle, then he took off around 1:30, same thing for other BFT'ers like predator and BLM around 2:30.

Trolled some more, and then called it quits for a break, then went trolling the southeast corner once more in the late afternoon/early evening. We went absolutely nuts! There was five wipers between us. I caught a 20 incher that gave a great fight... that my wrist was sore from holding the rod while bent more than double as it went under the boat. LOL Same thing for Jas, he caught one that went 19 inch, sure made a beeline under the boat, which he had to run around the boat trying to bring it up. LOL It was interesting to see that Jas borrowed my willard special, and he had a blast while I was using wally diver in blue with silver... wipers seem to love that too.

The secret is the sun going down that seems to bring the wipers out of their daylight graves...

Called it quits at 8:45, went home sooo tired but at least I wanna share this with you guys before hitting the sack.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, I've really gots ta given that a try me thinks..
[signature]
Thanks for the report! Sounds like you guys had quite the time out there. Too bad for all the stinking bugs! That place can get nasty out there. You can get a weeks worth of protein if you open your mouth for a few minutes!
[signature]