Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off shore Fishing, Bahamas
I don't believe I can enter the contest as I don't have a patch, logo or shirt or cap from BigFishTackle, nor am I in the pictures as I took the shots.

Went out yesterday as the tide was going out, SW end of New Providence, Bahamas.

Gray Snapper -11 1/2 inches

Squirrel Fish (RedEyed John) - 9 1/2 inches

Southern Flounder - 13 1/2 inches

PigFish ( Grunt) - 9 inches

Rock Hind - 9 inches

Lane Snapper - 10 1/2 inches

Spotted Scorpion Fish (LionFish) - 10 1/2 inches

White Margate (Margaret Fish) - 13 1/2 inches

Saucereyed Porgie - 13 inches

Sharksucker (Remora) - 20 inches

Had to come in early as seas were building to 3 -4 ft. We only have a 13 ft Whaler with 3.5 motor.

[url "mailto:dreeve@coralwave.com"]dreeve@coralwave.com[/url]
[signature]
Those are some nice looking fish. It's too bad that all the conditions aren't met for the contest but I'm sure you had all the same fun just catching them.

One of the things that they require for the contest is that you be in the picture and that you have some kind of logo. Even if you just print out a logo from the site and have it present in the picture with you in it.

They do have BFT hats and Shirts in the gift shop section of this site. If you wanted to Private Message your address to me, I could send you a couple of BFT stickers.
[signature]
Steve, You are what I call a real sporman. a man shows up with almost 120 points if entered properly, certainly showing himself to be a formatable contender and you give him the tools to enter....

Keep up the great work....
[signature]
Hi Dreeve, that an outstanding catch.... did you do all this on one trip?

follow tubn2's leed, we have some of the best competitors on the net in our compotition, and I am sure they would love to have another conender... I am a fresh water angler myself and represent my area to the best of my ability....

check out the compitition and say howdy to the competitors.
[signature]
Thanks for the compliment, and yes, that was one outing and a short one at that. Went out today and got (2) Margates (14 & 18 inches), (1) Turbot (16 inches), (3) Lane Snappers (10-14 inches), (2) Porgies (16 inches each) (2) HInd Fish, (both over 14 inches) (6) Grunts (8 inches), and a bunch of others totaling 3 dozen fish.

For some reason, I don't feel it fair entering the contest. I could do 100+ points a day. I am off work until July, figure the score..

I'll just keep posting pics now and then, unless you twist my arm to enter...lol

Dave
[signature]
[cool][#800000][size 1]Hey there dreeve - I have been following some of your posts & pics and find them very interesting. Off the subject of fishing my departed wife's great grand father raised part of his family in New Providence in the mid 1800's. He was a doctor in England then migrated to the Bahamas and eventually to Key West. He had owned quite a bit of property there but the family was never able to get any money out of the country. British law was in effect in those days. [/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 1]Keep the pictures and stories coming for you are a welcomed addition to the BFT.[/size][/#800000]
[signature]
Interesting. Hope you get the private email I sent Re: property in the Bahamas.

I am enjoying posting Fishing News from the Bahamas (or my little area of it) here.

I might even enjoy hosting a private fishing adventure (on a small scale)as I have a small boat to other members if they ever find themselves here on New Providence. You notice I call this place by the Island Name, not the capital, Nassau. I do not live in Nassau, but a very small rural (back in the bush) village on the Island.

Dave
[signature]
By the way, I released the Spoted Scorpion Fish I caught. Then, last night on Iron Chef (Food Tv) they featured it as the main ingredient. I will kep the next one and EAT it!!!!!
[signature]
Dave,

I appreciate your comments to Steve. Off web, I have writen to Steve with my thoughts.

I probably will not enter the contest as I do not think it would be fair.

I literally live on the beach, in the Bahamas and fish every day, if not twice in my little boat in probably one of the best fishng spots in the Caribbean, the Tongue of the Ocean. I fish for the pleasure, sport and release many of the fish (after the photo is taken) or, give them to families in need in the small village I live in.

That is my satisfaction, not winning a trophy.

Dave
[signature]
Well I guess I will have to settle for checking out your photos and reports... I can handle that...

You could always enter just enough species to not win [sly]

looking forward to your next report.
[signature]
Over here we have the California Scorpionfish. They are so tasty and there are so many recipes for them. You can prepare them with any of the Calico bass or even with and of the Bass recipes on the board.
[signature]
Speaking of Recipes, I just added a new one to the Fish Stew section. I hope you try this Bahamian Stew Fish. It is one of my favorites.

The fishing report for this week: I'm laughing as I write this. The water has finally calmed down and we have been out every day this week. Turbots are everywhere, and an increase of Lane Snappers in the outer shoals. We only caught two Margaret fish over 14 inches, yet many smaller ones. The Hind fish are either very small or very big this week. In total, I believe we have averaged three dozen fish per outing, rather slow for our average. I did start to pull in a fish which suddenly got much lighter in weight by the time it got to the boat as a Barricuda decided he wanted the tail end.

Lost two anchors (Bahamian Anchor = part of wheel) this week. Wife accidently threw one overboard without the rope attached and the seconed one went bye bye when the roap broke. As we were out about a mile, my wife tied an old axe head to the rope. It actually worked as we would drop it into a rocky area on the windward side of a shoal and it would hook-up enough for us to stay put.

As we were running low on weights, we came in so I could cut some more from old diving belt leads. Grabbed another rusted wheel part for anchor and we headed off to the mile marker off the Defense Force. Fished a bit around it, but only caught half dozen very large Red-eyed Johns. These the cat eats boiled as we don't but cat food anymore.

Just checked the gasoline situation and bait to go out this afternoon. 1.6 quarts in the motor and 1 pint in the container, just enough for one trip out. FYI, the gasloine here is currently $3.28 a gallon. There is a Conch Salad stand next to our neighborhood gas station who buys $20 per week in Grunts on Saturday in trade for fuel. Two small frozen Grunts for bait.

Looks there is enough to go out today.

Dave
[signature]
Sometime you got to do what you got to do. Once you set your priorities straight to fish, then everything else is just secondary. I hope you make out on your future trips. Make do with what you have on hand and let us know how you do.[cool]
[signature]
Been to busy to fish the last 9 days. Finally got out today for a couple of hours. Attached is today's catch, For reference, the POrgie on the left is just shy of 20 inches. We're baking him tonight. Andria skinned the Durbins. Have caught about 5 this size, gave 1 away, 2 in the freezer, now these two. Hope they are good.

Anyone try them? They look like Turbot when skinned. Andria caught the nice Yellowtail, I got the Lane Snapper and the bigger Margate fish. The Wrasse are for the cat, Chuckie. WHAT!!! by cat food?
[signature]
That looks like a nice days catch. I'm sure you are happy to have been back on the water.

Do you have any of these guys out there??

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5028;]
[signature]
Looks like a small stingray. I have seen a few, but not as many as in Florida.

We do have a 3 ft manta (like) ray living in the flats in front of the house. He comes by after we are done cleaning our fish. My wife has a large heavy spear waiting for him as natives tell us they are good eating.
[signature]
This little guy is actually a Thornback ray. Non stinging. They are also called Sand Sharks in these parts. They are poor on the plate but awesome on the hook.

There are several species of Rays, including the Manta that are excellent table fare. I will get some of my recipes and filleting instructions out this week. Watch for them on the recipe board this week.
[signature]