Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
using a mixture of lures
using a mixture of lures at the dam has been my sucess as of late .
i started with my all time favorite , worms ! after a few fish and then a dosen or so casts without a hit i decided to give the panther martins i bought from one of our sponsors a try , wham ! fish after fish , as soon as one of them quit producing strikes i'de switch over to another color and size .
then after a while and a few "no show casts " i tied on a variety of repallas , again fish after fish hit , then came the lull again . spoons after that , then flatfish , pencil plugs , mepps , twister tails and junebug spinners .
yes sir , that bit of mixing the lures around sure got some action .
best guess is , fish see the same lure over and over again and loose intrest in them , putting something new in front of there noses might strike there curosity ,with that , your lure !
use that arsonal of lures you have in the box and don't limit yourself to what lures should work . try them all - big and small . you might catch a surprise fish that will earn you bragging rights at the local baitstore .
[signature]
that is quite a variety of lures that you were using, i'll have to give that a try!! as it seems, if you use more of a variety of lures rather than using the same one, would seem to catch a lot more fish.
[signature]

[signature]
it sure does [Wink].
one thing i thought i'de add on is how easy it is to forget to check your knots and line condition if you use a steel leader or a snap swivel for quick lure changes .
i lost a #5 panther martin last evening due to this oversite . had a nice northern on and all the sudden it was gone . at the end of the line was that telltale "pigs tale " that let me know my reluctance to check the knot not only cost me a nice fish but a favorite lure as well .
to check for knicks in your line take a cotton ball with you and run it up and down your line a little over the distance of your rod length , if it tuggs or pulls it's time to trim off that line a little .
why longer than your rod length ? easy .
the first foot or two will get nicks from rocks and debris on the waters bottom , the rod tip guide will put some in as your reeling in and fighting a fish .
energy is dispersed thruout the line , as you reel in a fish it becomes more condenced into a smaller length of line and more stress is exerted onto the fractures . thats why so many people loose a fish just as the get it up to the boat or near shore . a simple line check is all it takes to have a better than fair chance at landing a good sized fish .
gatta go , the thunderstorms are here !
[signature]
pigs tail, ohhhhhhhhh i hate that!

good one!

[Wink]

sm
[signature]
pigs tail in my fishing line ? haven't seen one of those in years ! not since i started useing a palomar knot
[signature]