Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAROLINA RIG?
THIS PAST WEEKEND I FISHED A LOCAL LAKE, GUYS WERE CATCHING FISH ON SPLITSHOT. I DIDN'T BRING MY SPLITSHOT RIG SO I CAROLINA RIGGED. I USED AN IMX 843 RIGGED WITH #12 STREN 1/4OZ PEGGED BULLET 14" ABOVE A 5" MAD MAN CRAW WORKING DOWNHILL FROM 4'-7' OFF THE EDGE INTO 15'-20' . I MISSED STRIKES THE FIRST ONE I DIDNT REEL DOWN ON THE FISH SET THE HOOK LIKE I WAS FISHING TEXAS RIG (DIDN'T DRIVE THE HOOK). SECOND ONE I PICKED UP LINE UNTIL IT STARTED TO LOAD UP AND THEN SET MISSED THAT TOO. AFTER YOU GET A BITE WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SET THE HOOK ON A CAROLINA RIG????<br><br>
If I am dragging a rig and get bit when the bait is moving I stop the rod and let the fish load it up a bit and then set the hook the same direction I was dragging. I sweep the rod as opposed to lifting it when draging a rig so I keep good contact with the bottom. If I get bit on the pause and the rod is back I wind down and make sure the fish is still there and then set. I fish a seven foot rod with good back bone and a softer tip and the length helps a lot setting the hook. Check your hook size and be sure it is sharp (Gamakatsu). I like a 2/0 or 3/0 hook. I lost a money fish with a small hook once and will never make that mistake again. Hope this helps you out.<br><br>
THANKS FOR THE INFO. I'LL TRY IT AGIAN NEXT WEEK.<br><br>
I USUALLY DO USE A SWIVEL, BUT I WAS IN A HURRY AND PEGGING THE WEIGHT WAS A FASTER WAY TO GO. MY QUESTION IS BY NOT USING A SWIVEL DOES IT REALLY HURT THE ACTION?<br><br>
I am going to set up a couple Carolina rigs for this weekend. I have a question about the leader. Should it be a heavier line than what is on my reel, which has 6 lb test? I noticed the store bought ones are rather heavy.
[signature]