Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plug for hole in transom
The lower hole in the transom (drain hole?) in my boat needs a plug. The problem is, I can't find one that fits. It's larger than 3/4 inch, smaller than an inch and threaded. I founda 7/8 inch livewell plug but I can't get it in because of the threads (that's how I tore up my thumb). Any suggestions on getting this hole taken care of? Should I drill the hole larger so the 1 inch plug fits or should I just remove a bit off of the threads so I can get the 7/8 inch plug in? It's a fiberglass boat so I'm not too sure if I want to make the hole larger.
[signature]
Why not use the rubber plug with the T handle.As you tighten the handle the plug gets bigger.I replace mine every couple of years.Boat supply house should carry them.
[signature]
Because I can't even get the plug into the transom because of the threading... not even with it loosened up all the way. That's the problem.
[signature]
If it was me , the drill would be out and a 7/8 dill bit would be in it and I'd take enough of the threads out so I could get the plug in. Just my take on it. Good luck
[signature]
That was my thinking. But I'd prefer a 1 inch because the 7/8 inch plug is designed for a livewell and isn't very long. So I'm looking for all suggestions.

Question is, if I do drill away at the threads, where would I find a 7/8 inch bit?
[signature]
Found a 7/8 inch bit and drilled out the hole. Guess what! the plug fit nicely but when I went to tighten it, the dang thing broke. Well, I got disgusted (been doing that a lot the last couple days) and went out and picked me up a couple cutting drill bits. I also picked up a piece of PVC pipe and cut the hole large enough to fit the PVC pipe. My 1 inch plug fits in the pipe nicely. Now all I need to do it cut the pipe to the right length, stick it in the transom, and then make sure I've got it sealed all the way around to make it water tight. Wish me luck guys!
[signature]
Did you try a 1/2" NPT plug? The outside diameter is listed as 0.84", just shy of 7/8" (0.875"). You should be able to find them at any home supply store, or plumbing supplier.
[signature]
CapBox, too late. I've already got the PVC pipe in there and my 1" plug fits is great. Just gotta seal around the pipe and then toss the boat in the water to see how well it holds water out, if at all.
[signature]
The thread is probably pipe thread half inch. This is pretty standard
[signature]