Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell Report
Well, spent a week at Powell, right during the big B.A.S.S. tournament out of Bullfrog. I thought we were doing pretty lousy until I heard how the Pro's were doing. Their performance was a just a little better grade of lousy than ours. The big winner brought in 14 of a possible 15 fish over three days that average just under 2 lbs each!! Knowing that, I feel pretty good with my catch out of a 14' 30HP aluminum boat. The average bass (no stripers) we kept were 1.5-2.0 lbs each.

Weather was pretty much windy (15-25 mph) the whole time which made us nervous when we made 45 minute daily trips to either Cedar, Forgotton, Knowles or Iceberg canyons.

Our best luck for large & smallmouth bass was the outer half of the canyons along the not-so-steep rocky shoreline using 4" crawdad brown & chartruse plastics. Got a few on crankbaitss. We did quite well along the more shallow rocky shoreline adjacent to deep water for Walleyes. They really liked the 15'-20'clear water of the main channel along underwater ledges & points. We caught more walleyes than bass if you exclude the mini-smallmounth that we could't keep off the hook. Even caught three nice channel catfish and a few fiesty bluegill on lures. All in all it was tough fishing with the wind and all. We caught five species, but no stripers or crappies. Only one person we talked to saw any striper boils and they were in the back of Hansens Canyon, clear in the very back of the bay.
[signature]
sounds like a pretty good trip to me... I can be just as happy pullin up eyes as am pullin up bass. I seldom eat eather (one or two a year)

its always nice fealing to know you are birng in as good or better than the pro's [Wink]

before I forget, thanks for the great report....

do you ever get in on any of the compititions?
[signature]
Thanks MRJ-

Boy that wind can make things tough. Sounds like you did okay, all things considered. What size walleyes were you finding? I hope the gizzard shad will help those fish really take off again.
[signature]
Walleyes were about 2-3 lbs across the board, and no I never do the tournament thing. A little too close to prostituting the sport for my personal taste, but if that is your thing, that's OK too.
[signature]
mmmmmm thats the best eatin size [Tongue]

I can apreciate them veiws, actuly down right respect them..

if you ever get the urge to show off some of your catches we would love to see what is coming out of the waters from down your way...[Wink]
[signature]