Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polluted Hatchery Trout Killed
[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][#000000][size 2]LEWISTOWN, MT—The Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Department (FWPD) announced last week that tests showed 478,000 rainbow trout at the Big Springs Trout Hatchery were contaminated with toxic PCBs, many of them with concentrations well above the state's "do not eat limit." The fish were killed and transported to a Great Falls, Montana, area landfill.[/size][/#000000][/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][#000000][size 2]The FWPD says it learned last summer that PCB-laced paint used on the hatchery's raceways during the 1960s and '70s had flaked off over the decades, contaminating the blue ribbon trout stream's wild fish population downstream. [/size][/#000000][/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][#000000][size 2]The Environmental Protection Agency will oversee the cleanup of the hatchery facility. [/size][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
I knew I should have left my big shoes on when I went wading through that hatchery.

that is realy a tough break for every one... and might I add vary responcible and down right respectable method of handling the situation. I am not sure Michigan would live up to this level of quality controls. I have to take my nose off to the "FWPD" THEY ARE DOING A TREMENDOUS JOB in protecting wildlife and natural environment.

We can only prey that we learned from the mistakes of our forfathers and we take the inisitive to make sure we dont leave hazzards lurking about in time capsils to open on thier own in the future for our children to clean up behind our tracks and so on......
[signature]