Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Hole River
FISHING: Great
Stream Flow and Height [[url "http://waterdata.usgs.gov/mt/nwis/current/?type=dailystagedischarge&group_key=NONE&search_site_no_station_nm=Big%20Hole"][#0000ff]click here[/#0000ff][/url]]

First of all, let me apologize for the lack of virtual fishing reports over the last month. We have been busier than the proverbial one legged man in a snake stomp. As we sit here on this beautiful spring day in Montana, the cabins are finished, the lawn is coming in, the caddis have come and left, the drakes are hatching, the big stones are getting active, and the trout are hungry!

We have had some great "catching" over the last month. Almost never leaving the lower Big Hole, we have caught fish, lots of them by the way, on every technique possible on the fly. We are having a nice wet spring, with afternoon clouds and showers - and the hatches are like clockwork. Grey Drakes, March Browns, Baetis, and a few remnants of the blizzard Mothers Day Caddis hatch are still bringing fish to the dry fly.

As far as the dead drift nymphing and streamer fishing - three words - OH MY GOD. Catches upwards of 20 fish per angler have been common, with some great fish in the mix. Nymphing small mayfly imitations behind the ever steady yuk bug has been the ticket- and dont forget the san juan worm.

We hosted a trip from Washington's Evening Hatch Flyshop and Guide Service, the first of many to come, and had a great time. Jay, Evan, Gene, Bob, and of course Jack Mitchell got in on some Caddis fishing that most people only hear about. The third day of the trip the streamer fishing below the Notch was downright ridiculous. I dont know if Jack can tie a streamer on without thinking of that day.

At any rate, as far as the forecast, it is anyones guess as to when we will see runoff. Some say we have seen part of it, all of it, or its not going to happen. As we talk about it, the Big Hole is on the rise. My personal outlook is that we will miss a few days of fishing on the river over the next week or two, but I dont envision a massive 11,000 cfs deluge like we had last year. There is still quite a bit of snow to come out of the high country, but with the cool weather pattern we are in, its not coming out very fast, which is a good thing!
[signature]