Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flurocarbon
Here's one, I had a bad experience with FC, do not use the palomar knot with it, it's real weak instead use an albright or San Diego knot, not knowing this cost me an 15# 'butt at the boat.<br>Testing proved that FC does not work well with the palomar knot.<br><br><br>
FC isn't gaining a real stellar rep for knot strength, though many say they've had no problem at all. I've been told that FC tends to break at closer to it's rated test than the nylon & copolymers. That mono we are all used to generally overtests by quite a bit, some to 50%. You don't want to get me started on THAT subject! Big Grin<br><br>Most big ones that got away stories include "at the boat." With none of that nice stretchy mono in the water it is the most unforgiving time for a lapse in concentration.<br><br>Funny thing about the Palomar knot. It's the one deckies teach because it's easy. I have NEVER been able to tie one!<br><br>Fishslayer<br><br>
It seems to vanish when it hits the water and is harder so more abrasion resistant so that's an advantage, the diSadvantage is like I said is you have to be careful with your knots. <br><br>I've been fising 49 of my 54 years and have been a commercial as well as a deckhand on long range and local and spent a lot of personal time fishing so I tie good knots in everything from 2# fly leaders to 130# .<br><br>I also know how to romance a nice 'butt to gaff on lite string without having it go bonkers at the side of the boat before you can net it or gaff it.<br><br>I'm not going to toos the FC, but you can bet that I'll use the Trilene knot or the Albright in it from now on. Smile<br><br>