Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marine Radio's
My boat came with a regular CB thats is far past its prime and is now laying in my trash can. My question is do marine radio's use the same antenna and antenna plug? The antenna wire is already ran so if I can use it, I wont pull it out.
[signature]
i might be wrong here,but its my understanding that you cannot use a "cb" antenna for a vhf antenna,they use different frequency's.As for useing the same plug type,if you used that type of plug on a cb sure,but i have never seen a cb with the same plug as a vhf radio.

Also i think the coax is different between the two also,but not sure on that,a little advise if you have to change plugs,make sure you get the plug that needs soldering,it holds up a lot better then the clamp kind.

I sure enjoy having a vhf on the boat.

I wonder if it will be this windy this weekend on the water?
[signature]
Kokeking is right about the antenna being different and it would not surprise me if the cable is different also. BLM has one so I'm sure you could ask him, also Fishcrazy has one and had to buy an antenna for it so he could help. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You can ask me but I don't know if a CB antenna will work on VHF. I have one and use one but I'll be darned if I know how they work! I can tell you one thing about antennas. Make sure they are taken down and stowed at the end of the day. Freeway overpasses are pretty unforgiving on them if left up![/size][/font]
[signature]
A CB ant. won't work on VHF[Sad]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]"CB" is to "AMMO" as "vhf" is to "ces", not compatable dude!! LOL Sorry, inside joke![/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]
Maybe you could think about a handheld VHF and you wouldn't need antennas, cables, or plugs. West Marine or E-Bay.
[signature]
I've been thinking about buying one of the hand held Marine Radios myself. They cost around 90 to $100.00. Tony has one(Fishinfool), I'm sure you could get some info about them from him if you want a hand held one. WH2
[signature]
Thx all for the info. Actually I am looking at a base unit to mount in the boat. I have too mant toys laying around in the house already lol. Good example, a Garmin Etrex GPS, a Sharpie marker and a 2 year old are NOT compatible!!!! [Sad]

Those magic erasers they sell took the sharpie right off!!! If you have young kids, you have to buy some, they take off everything a kid can color with [sly]
[signature]