Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are crappie and sunfish limits warrented on all N.Y.S. waters?
Are crappie and sunfish limits warrented on all N.Y.S. waters?

Sam
[signature]
I'm no biologist, but it seems to me sunfish are prolific breeders. Crappie, I'm less sure about. But I don't see why a limit would need to be placed on ALL NY waters. Not to mention, there aren't a lot of people who fish for sunnies as compared to other "game fish". I do believe it should be considered on an area by area basis though as a lot of the game fish eat them. I don't know how prolific Crappie are, but I think they're in the same boat (no pun intended) to a lesser degree. Though, I think the current limit of 50 is basically "unlimited". Who needs to catch more than 50 Crappie in a day?
[signature]
The crappie limit is 25, 9" min. 50 for other panfish. The crappie are overpopulated in my local lake and the DEC says that we can't harvest more than the allowed amounts. We could bring in over 300 lbs. per panfish tournament if allowed. In the past we brought in over that amount, just to reduce panfish populations.

Sam
[signature]
You're right. I stand corrected. It is 25 and 50. I do agree that sunfish could and probably should be unlimited in most places. There's no reason they couldn't lift the limit on all waters, then add exceptions to some waters if needed.

Wow, 300 lb of panfish! I couldn't imagine that. That must've been fun. Where do you fish to find that kind of yield. How long does it take to clean that many fish?
[signature]
Orange L., N.Y. in Orange C.
The club feels the crappie are in competition with bass and pickerel for the available forage, as well as feed on newborns. As the older fish die from delayed mortality of tournaments, less fish in sizes 3, 4, 5 lb range are caught and less bass overall. The DEC is inflexible.

Sam
[signature]
Hey there Senkosam

Orange Lake does it have any boat restrictions? I would like to give it a try I do enjoy crappie fishing
[signature]
I live 10 min. from the lake and usally have a back seat open. I launch from my club's lake access.

Sam
[signature]