Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skunked yet again...but I'm not bitter
So, this afternoon I decided to go down to the lake, down to Pumphouse Cove, due to the fact I have too much gear and its too tough a walk back up from Hole 33.

I got down there to find a bunch of people fishing, and some jet skiers taking up the two points directly down from the road, along with their flunkies waiting on shore for their turns to ride. So, I decided to try and fish the cove part thats blocked off by the porto-pot on an 8x8 floating dock.

I fished the bottom with Scopex flavored Pescaviva. Its kinda like a bigger corn kernal, like maize, but tougher. Stays on the hook very well. I also brought along the ol' casting rod, and a bunch of topwater stuff just in case.

A few fish jumped, around 3, and with the dead carp about 40 yds down shore, thats all the fish I saw. Some lady caught what looked like a small striper...really small, but I didn't bother going over and seeing.

Two mexican guys were fishing with anchoivies near me, but didn't get anything either. It was funny, they thought I was from Canada, lol. I guess in Mexico, they must thing all 6" 4" white guys are from Canada. Thats the second time I was thought of as a Canuck.

I also spent from 5-5:40 trying to un-birds-nest my baitcasting reel. I bought this thing back in 93', a Shimano Crestfire reel, and a Berkley IM7 ( when it was new ) Ultra Max rod. Remeber Ultra Max line??? Berkley's attempt at Spider wire?? Anyhow, I ended up cutting the nest out it was so bad. Spiderwire is a pain in the butt to cut out! I ended up having enough line on the reel for about a 35 -40yd cast, so I still managed.

Other than that, I still managed to enjoy myself. even though I got skunked...lol

I have a question as well.

How deep roughly is the middle of that cove, from the buoys in? I got snagged a bunch of times reeling my line back in. I was thinking of rigging a slip-float set up my next time out, if its not too windy.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic Sans MS"] Let me start out by saying, you are a braver man than me. Battling the lake and the people on a holiday weekend. The depth at the buoys had been around 30' to 35'. Haven't been out there in a while so I'm not sure if they moved them out again. If the buoys are in roughly in the same spot, there is a serious drop-off. It goes from 5' down to about 18' in just a few feet. You could be snagging up on that or you could be getting caught up in the anchor cables from the Porta-can. The slip bobber idea works pretty well if the wind is right. I tried it a while back, I set the stop at about 20' and it drifted frozen anchovies around pretty good, didn't catch anything that way but it worked and it looked tasty to me. [/font] [/size]
[signature]
thanks for the informative and funny report - i agree with powermaker, you're brave and hearty! i'm bitter about fishin' lake mead from the shore for the both of us! [blush]

sm
[signature]