Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An April Day...
`a “Perfect Day for Trolling the Blue Waters…”<br><br>Since it’s only 13 minutes out of the Harbor, we gave the 40 fathom ledge in front of the harbor a pass to see if Any Ono, were there…`”Nope”…no one home this morning…<br>`oh well… we’ll be back thru in a few hours… we’ll get `em then..!<br><br>Out to the deep waters, Trolling… Looking… <br>“Enjoying the Beautiful day off a little rock...<br> in the Middle of the Biggest pond ever made, sure can’t beet the view of Kauai while on the water…<br>& the Water..!…It’s SO BLUE..! <br>Great contrast to the Green & Red Island against the Blue sky with the Fluffy white clouds floating by…<br> `Ahhhhh…. Fishing off Kauai…`Hawaii…on a Bitchen little Bertram Sportfisher…<br><br>So there we are, cappy likes to make his first pass on the FAD going downhill, <br>sun behind boat so he can see any Mahi that might be hanging… <br>`since there’s a tuna pile 8 miles away… All the other boats have Ignored this buoy the last days… <br>a quarter mile from the buoy, cappy points out the 5 Red Footed Boobies `worken the fad…<br>”looks like we might get a bite out a this pass…<br>Sure nuf… as the boat just gets past the buoy…cappy says…”Here WE GO..!…<br>Could see a fish cutting across the surface towards the lure that seems to be 20 ft. behind the boat…SNAP.ZZzzZZZz!!! <br>At the Same time, the line hooked up to one of the outriggers comes Crashing down…Screaming out line….<br>So there we are…<br>Cappy says he saw a few of em under the can…”Let the ladies have these, you can get yours on bait…<br>“Bait..?… Mahi…?…. My Favorite….`& their Nice ones too….<br>As the boat comes to almost a stop, cappy cranks in the corner line that isn’t hooked up, takes the lure off & puts on a leaderd hook, looks like 150 lb. mono leader probably 10 ft long, crimped to a 8/0 J hook….he puts on what he called a Big Eyed Scad, just pined it thru the nose & dropped it in the water…short… `& told me to let it back when he says…<br>So there we are…<br>My wife & daughter, Hooked UP to a couple nice Mahi Mahi…cappy up on the bridge, turning the boat to stay close to the Fad… & me…with a Gold 50 lb. class Stand Up rig attached to a palm sized baitfish with a hook on his head…<br>Ahhhh….Fish`n….<br>Ol mom’s fish was the short lure, a Big Marlin lure with two 11/0 hooks…<br>`her fish seemed Hooked pretty good, it came in quick…`cappy says <br>“we’ll take it quick…`Get Dinner on Board…`don’t see any followers so keep the bait close…<br> He Swings…He misses..!…`ol cappy says Somethen about fresh Mahi at gaff…<br>(I think he was talking to the Fish) He gets it next swing…<br>BEAUTIFUL.!!!…You just Have to See a Live Mahi Mahi to believe their Color…<br>& can they thrash on deck..? YES.!!!…cappy had that one in the fish box in a hurry, he said 23 lbs…<br>WoW.!!! M`ladies Biggest fish yet…<br>So there we are…<br>M`little girl is on one that looks Bigger…`sure glad we came, she is just getting into high school & we don’t get time together like before, FISHING…the `Best Family Time…<br>Not sure it could get better, the sun at our back…the boat stopped…calm seas…a Nice Mahi jumping at the end of a line… Family Time...<br><br>`cappy says he sees more fish, just behind the one on the Hook…drop the bait back… <br>`sure nuf… as soon as the bait got 20 ft. behind the boat… <br>A Mahi came swimming along behind it…& takes it…HOOK UP.!!!<br>Nice One Too…!!! <br>Cappy says it’s “the Bull”…it looks twice as big as the others…Strong Too..!<br>The Mahi looked like it was doing summersaults back there, Cart Wheeling… then the Run..!!!<br>Cappy puts a gaff in m`girls Mahi & puts it in the box…same size as the first, & Pretty..!!!<br>So there we are…<br>off Kauai, a Beautiful day…m`girls just caught their Biggest Fish ever… I’m presently ON Mine…. <br>`& we’ve Only been out an hour… though were in 6,000 ft. of water, 5 miles out…<br>the Mahi is a tough one, after 20 minutes of tug of war, a couple short runs & a Few Very Impressive Jumps… just before he gets to double line, he Stands Up on his Tail Shaking his head Violently…`almost hit me with the hooks as they came out of it’s mouth… then it just sat there, on the surface looking at me…`he might have been smiling as he took the other Mahi with him away from that noisy thing with invisible arms…<br>So there we are…<br>`learnt Early in this relationship not to let it bother me when the girls Out Fish me… even when they rub it in…<br>cappy says, “to keep it even, the girls get one rod each, the ones that didn’t get bit last pass, I get the two that bit…`sounds fair to me…<br>cappy says the other boats on the radio found the Tuna Pile, one guy has one around 160 lbs., <br>HuH..!!!..160…`that’s how much I weighed in high school..!!!…& the girls..?<br>So there we are…<br>It’s been an hour, trolling along with Nothen happening… cappy says, “that’s trolling…” then he points ahead of the boat… there are about 7 boats just in front of us, two of em are dead in the water, I can see guys sitting in their Fighting Chairs working a rod, a Big Rod..! The others appear to be chasing a big group of birds, a Tuna Pile…<br>LOOK AT THAT!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!<br>That Tuna just Jumped 6 Foot OUT of the water.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br>Cappy says…`keep watching, they’re chasing Flying Fish…`Watch the Frigate Birds, the Big ones hovering…Look, over there…! ` sure nuf…the big birds came down, at the place in the Ocean they came to…a fish the size of a small trout came Flying out of the water… “they Really Do Fly… it’s a wonder they still exist… <br>As the Flying Fish came out of the water, two Giant Frigates & a Blue Billed Booby came swooping down on it…<br>Then…a Big Fellow Fin Tuna came busting out of the water after it…`hardly a ripple where it came out, directly behind the Flying Fish…He GOT IT !!! Cool..!!!<br>So there we are…<br>In the Middle of the Ocean… In the Middle of a Tuna Pile…!…5 miles Offshore of Kauai, Hawaii…<br>Cappy says their moving fast, the other boats have been running them since sun rise…<br>Their kinda biting…`if you can get the lures over the pile, it seemed to be staying just in front of the boat…<br>It’s Amazing how the schools move, you see em from the birds, Thousands of birds…<br>Giant Frigates…Blue Billed & Red Footed Boobies…Turns, Petrels, Shearwaters…<br>Every once in a while, Skipjack Tuna Schools will bust bait…the smaller birds will be right on top of em…<br>The bigger birds will be swooping, looking, waiting… or Hanging High watching the whole scene…<br>`there the ones to watch…the Frigates… when they fold their wings & dive…That’s where you Want the lures to be…<br>“Like ThaT !!! `cappy says as the lines finally get close to the action… “Here We GO !!!!!!!<br>So here we are…<br>`in the middle of a thousand birds…the 50 lb. class reel Screaming out line at an Unbelievable rate, Rod Bent double…<br>Then the one on the rigger comes SLAMMING DOWN…Screaming OUT line..!!!!!!!!!!!<br>`these are a little different than the Mahi Mahi… as cappy says… “these are REAL FISH”…<br>OF course, `on the Girls rods…<br><br><br>NUF FER NOW…………………<br>Aloha Folks…<br><font color=red>`the weather is Here…`wish you were Beautiful…</font color=red> <br> <br><br><br><A HREF="http://www.fishingkauai.com" target="_new">http://www.fishingkauai.com</A><br><b><font color=blue>ALOHA & Good LUCK</b></font color=blue><br>