Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geo Caching and Fishing
For the past two years, I have down loaded several geo caching locations and taken them with me on camping-fishing trips. I have then used my GPS to find the hidden caches in my spare time. On several trips, the cache sites have taken me to new fishing waters that I didn't even know existed. I now make sure to add geo caching down loads to all of my trips. I can't waite to see where it will take me next! Give it a try some time and I think that you will have fun with it. The kids really like to do it. www.geocaching.com
It is free for general information or you can pay a small fee for more options. I just use the free stuff myself.DKS
[signature]
I'll check out the site but what is Geo Caching? How does it help in finding new fishing spots? I'm guessing it won't work without a GPS. WH2
[signature]
The website mentioned in the first post can tell you all about it. Geocaching was designed specifically for GPS users. I haven't done it, but from what I understand, here are the basics.

Someone has hidden a cache or container, and saved the GPS coordinates of the location. People go to websites like the one mentioned, and download the coordinates for these caches, then go search them out.

Probably no good for finding specific fishing spots as the caches are on land, but could provide a fun alternate activity when the fishing is slow. Smile

I would love to give it a try someday. I have the GPS, but very little time to do this, and still keep up all my other hobbies.
[signature]
You need a GPS to geo cache. The web site gives you coordinates for caches in the area that you are looking for. You then install these coordinantes into your GPS and follow the arrow to the cache. What it does for finding new fishing holes is to guide you to new locations. The web site will tell you the type of land that you will be looking at. It will let you know it a river or lake is in the general area of the cache. I also use my GPS to mark spots on lakes that I want to return to . A cheap GPS is only about $100.00 and well worth it. Once you have used one you will ask yourself how you got along without one for so long. DKS
[signature]
I am an avid cacher myself. Here is alink to UTAG. It is for Utah geocachers.

[url "http://www.utahgeocachers.com/"]http://www.utahgeocachers.com/[/url]

I always take way points or areas that I find as :hotspots while fishing. It seems that usually with out fail when I return on other trips,

I will find they are still productive. I am willing to trade way points if anyone is interested. I have them for Little Dell, the Gorge, and Fish Lake.
[signature]
Thanks for the link to UTAG Bigben1. It will help me find locations in Utah when I am camping. I hope that other BFT folks will give geo caching a try. It makes road trips a little more fun.
[signature]