Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spinning reel and rod recomendations
I'm looking into buing a spinning set up, I ejoy fishing on the weekends for wisconsin small mouth and large mout bass and the occational northern. I'd like to move away from my Zebco 33 to something a little better. I've been looking around online and have noticed good things on Penn and Shimano spinning reels. I am currently using an Ugly Stick and am happy with it. I'd like to spend about $50 for the reel and am wondering if I should stick with Ugly Sticks or switch to something better that I do not know of. Input is appreciated.<br><br>
Check out the Diawa Regal Z Spinning Reel featured on the front page of the BFT Superstore Page. It has several models designed for light or heavy line for what your planning to use it for. The ball bearings and rollers also appear to make it a reel of above average construction for the price under $50. As for the rod, you'll want to find one around 7' to 9' that has a line and weight (lures and jigs) rating that will match the line test you intend to use, the ugly stick is a versatile rod, and maybe just replacing the reel at first might be an option. It will give you time to see how the new combination works, and if you would prefer one that is longer, shorter, stiffer, etc after trying your tackle on the water. Good Luck.<br><br>Gamakatsu &lt;*(((&gt;{<br>
While the Regal Z mentioned previosly is a good choice and if you are into comparison shopping you might try www.basspro.com or cabelas and look at all of the Open Faced (Spinning) reels that they have there. If your Ugly stick is a 6 foot medium action stay with in a line weight of 8-10 lbs. which should work okay until you are ready to upgrade again. Good luck.<br><br>
I may just be hard on my equipment, but I cant find a spinning reel that will last more than two seasons. I have tried diawa, shimano, quantum, and browning. I have baitcasters from penn, and shimano and have no problems with them. As for the spinning reels, They all seem the same to me. The naxt one I will try will be the new mitchell, hopefully some day my search for a quality reel will be over. As for the rod, I would go with something from st.croix <br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.
I'm surprised at Predator's comments on spinning reels. He must really, really be tough on reels. I've still got my Mitchell 300, a Mitchell 410A, an Orvis 100A, a Mitchell 308, an Alcedo Micron, and Symetre 4000, Stradic 1000 and 4000 Shimanos which with routine maintainance (and bail springs on the Mitchells) are still working good. I haven't used my Bass Pro produced Pflueger Supreme SP-UL long enough to say it holds up well. All of the others have seen a lot of hard fishing. The two Shimano 4000's have been banged around climbing up and down rock canyon walls and fighting 5+lb trout in fast water (and occasional drops into the rocks). Except for a squeaking line roller on the Symetre (needed lube) and the expected dings on the spool lips from the drops, the reels have performed great. The Mitchell 410A has seen many seasons of snagging Kokanee (many 5+lbs) and has needed a couple handles and gears.<br><br>I've also been eyeing the Mitchell 300X, mainly because of the fondness the 300 and 308 built through the years. I am, however, a little concerned over its graphite body. All the bodies on my current reels are metal. Guess I'll never know until I try!! <br><br>
I hate to be one sided on reel brands, but you cannot hardly go wrong with a middle or high end Shimano. I have owned many a reel in my day and by far Shimano has served me the best. As for rods, I am a big St Croix fan. The best moderately priced rod you can buy in my opinion.<br><br>
Shimano Sustain reel and St Croix rod. I just love em. I have never found anything better. <br><br>