Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first walleye!
Neveronsunday took catchandreeat and me on his boat out to Willard. I guess the fishing was slower than it could have been, but I can't complain a bit. The only fish I caught in was a 23in Walleye. He sure beat the 10in rainbows I'm used to.

I'm sorry to say he was not released. I've never tried Walleye before so I was obligated to keep him - I had no choice. And boy was he tasty. I'll see what I can do about posting a pic.
[signature]
Way ta go Loren! They say "the first one is the toughest", but I find their all good entin'![Wink]
[signature]
23" is not a bad way to start! Congrats hashbaz! I'll bet now after eating one, you'll be chasing them from time to time. I know I'm hooked, even if it's just the little guys out here in Starvation.
[signature]
Congrats. You've broken the walleye "bagel".. Something I hope to do someday. [Wink]
[signature]
Hey Bearclaw,

I don't claim to be an expert, and I'm not a guide by any means. But if you would like to, I'd be glad to have you with me on Starvation. The Eye's should get out of Post-Spawn soon and hit the summer pattern. I can usually find somewhere that we could catch a few. Once you get a feel for them and get an idea of where they are, you'll start wondering why you've never caught one while Bass fishing. You'll also start catching them while Bass fishing. Well, while fishing more traditional Smallmouth territory I should say.

WH2 has been out a couple of times and WiperSlayer came out with him once. We had a great time and showed each other a thing or two about what we knew (or didn't know)LOL. If you get a chance to out with them on Willard, jump at the chance. They will have you in stiches, and on fish.
[signature]
NICE WORK ON THAT FIRST EYE. WATCH OUT BEFORE YOU GET HOOKED ON EYES. IT CAN BECOME AN ADICTION QUICK. BUT CONGRATS ON THAT EYE. CROSSINEYE
[signature]
hashbaz,

Did you get my email w/ the recipe? I had my 'eyes with my family last night and I have to say it was some of the best eating fish I've had!!!! yum. I also has that channel as a snack. I was surprised how much meat there was on that little fish. I did some scouting around on the 'net and found that lots of folks eat kitties that size 2or 3 that size and you have a meal. Instead of filets you just skin the cat break off the head and the entrails come out with the head. Score the meat on both sides roll it in corn meal, flour and cajun spices and fry it up in 350* oil... excellent even my wife liked it. BTW how was that wiper??? Oh and did you use the cheek meat from the walleye?? like butter!

So a channel cat lunch and a walleye dinner!! what a day.

Heres what the channel looked like just before I ate 'im except without the fru fru garnish.

[Image: whole.gif]
[signature]
wow thats a nice sized walleye for your first, i still remember my first and now i am hooked both on the taste and the catching of them (although they feel like a clump of weeds to reel in)
[signature]
[font "Verdana"][red][size 3]Here are the pics of your walleye. They were a little darker than I hoped but show it off fairly well. I guess that was old coot that was motoring by us with that other large eye. I have met him before but never seen his boat so I wasn’t sure it was him. I looked for a post from him to see how big it was but haven’t seen anything. Hope you had some fun, we’ll have to chase around sommore. Mike. [/size][/red][/font]
[signature]
I caught my first walleye on Sat down here at Utah Lake. It was yummy. Time to find some more.

congrats!
[signature]