Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody knows what fish is that?
Hi......I'm new here...pardon me for the intrusion..Hope someone help can help out...<br>Does anybody here knows what fish is this? They call it California Bass but i'm quite sure it may not be.. http://www.geocities.com/fishspecies/cal...<br><br>If u know the scientific name or maybe the common name, pls let me know. And btw, is it a saltwater, fresh or maybe both? Thks for ur help...appreciated....Smile<br><br>Eileen<br>http://www.geocities.com/fishspecies <br>Feel free to drop by <br><br>
It looks like a plain ol' freshwater largemouth bass that's been frozen & thawed (frayed fins, faded colors). Water conditions can also affect coloring. They may call it a "California Bass" to differentiate from the Florida strain, but I believe most of our bass are derived from that strain already.<br><br>The reddish pectoral might indicate some kind of subspecies (?) or it might just be rough handling.<br><br>Fishslayer<br><br>
Yes...it had been frozen coz it need to transport it many hrs to reach here....<br>I went thru all this site "base fish" yet i can't find anything tht looks like it...they doesn't have a fish call California bass..<br><br>Thks for ur reply......hopefully there will be someone who can identify it...<br><br>
Name:Largemouth Bass<br><br>Local common name: black bass, Florida bass, Florida (or southern) largemouth, green bass,chub bigmouth, bucketmouth, linesides, Oswego bass and green trou.<br><br>Description:It generally has light greenish to brownish sides with a dark lateral line which tends to break into blotches towards the tail. Often Confused with smallmouth and spotted bass, it is easily distinguishable because the upper jaw extends beyond the rear edge of the eye. Also, its first and second dorsal fins are almost separated by an obvious deep dip, and there are no scales on the soft-rayed second dorsal fin or on the anal fin.<br><br>Scientific name:Micropterus salmoides floridanus<br><br>FamilyConfusedunfish family<br><br>Water:fresh <br><br>Depth: From 1 foot down to a depth of 30 feet<br><br>Habitat:The largemouth prefers clear, nonflowing waters with aquatic vegetation where food and cover are available. Largemouth bass occupy brackish to freshwater habitats, including upper estuaries, rivers, lakes, reservoirs and ponds. Also, they can tolerate a wide range of water clarities and bottom types. Largemouths will prefer water temperatures from 65 to 85 degrees and are usually found at depths less than 20 feet.<br><br>Food:The meat is white, flaky and low in oil content. The flavor depends upon the way the fish are cleaned and prepared. The strong weedy taste of bass caught in some waters may be eliminated by skinning the fish and salting and peppering the fillets before battering. Fillets usually are fried, while larger ones may be baked.<br><br>http:beachfishing.tripod.com<br><br>
Would have to agree, that it appears to be standard Largemouth. The red coloring is not "A" typical. Could possibly have to due with water source and habitat or even food source this fish was feeding on. <br><br>Gamakatsu &lt;*(((&gt;{<br>
...and if you look closely you can just make out what appears to be the remnants of the dark lateral blotches that are usually prominant on the live variety.<br><br>Fishslayer<br><br>
Wow......Thk u so much for ur effort.....must say tht it's really very detail. Glad tht this fish found it's name...I will get it update in my site asap with ur credits....Thks.<br><br>*Jus dun understand y they call it California over here when it's from Florida.......<br><br>
Yap.....I've checked it again....it does appears to be Largemouth..Thks for ur interest..Btw, i like ur fish logo...it's cute..<br><br>