Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KAMIKAZE PELICAN
I fished bountiful pond sunday night the second of june. Arrived about 11 pm, threw my line out and started fishing. I had a few hits but no fish. I was debating on whether I should leave or not. I decided I would throw out once more and hang out for about twenty min and see if I have any luck. I reel my line in rebate it and cast it out. There was a Pelican maybe 20 yards from where I casted my line. After I had casted my line in I wedged one of my poles in the concrete along the front and turned to walk towards my car. I turned around and kicked back on my car in time enough to see this GIGANTIC Pelican flying straight at me! I had just enough time to dodge it as he was coming at me he hit my fishing pole, snapping it in two. The Pelican then lost its balance and Slammed into my car windshield. From there the Pelican tumbled out of control on the top of my car. and landed skidding accross the ground, just before the end of the pavement.
There were several of us on shore that didnt know what to say or think. Many of us have come in contact with birds at close range, but this was just crazy. Several spanish guys walked towards the Pelican. As 2 of them distracted the pelican from the front, another guy came from behind to grab the pelican by the neck. Another went around back while one went around back to grab the Pelicans beak shut. The three guys Gently picked up the bird and set him near the water by the boat ramp. As the guy let go of the pelicans beak, the pelican turned around and snapped at him. The Razor sharp beak cut the mans hand. Out of anger the guy began to Taunt the pelican, which was real Angry at this point. He was hissing and snapping at anyone who came within 5 ft of him. we stood around this bird for several minutes wondering if we should call for help or let it go. One guy said he wanted to take it home and eat it. I told him there was no way anyone was going to take this bird home. And it wasnt but 5 min after that in which the Pelican stood up and flew right back into the water.

I have seen shows on A&E where Japaneese Kamikaze bombers would just crash into boats. This bird reminded me of one of those. so I give it the name of the Kamikaze Pelican.

This is one fishing trip I will not forget.
[signature]
[center][size 4]That was one crazy bird!!!!![/size][/center]
[signature]
thanks for the story kevin

years ago when i was a deckhand on a boat in S. CA. were were motoring along when we noticed a pelican flying right at the boat it flew right into the wheelhouse window cracking the window and knocking itself out cold we thought it was dead until it got up and flew away 10 min. later
[signature]
Hey loanfish that's an awesome story! Of course except for your pole getting snapped in half! Man I wonder what happened? It must have been pissed because you stole his fishing spot! lol
[signature]
Well if that was his fishing spot and he thought hed get me back by busting my rod hes mistaken. I'll bet he was hurt more. See something real positive arrizes out of this oddasion. I get 24 free dinners to Chevy's fresh Mex[cool].LOL[sly]
[signature]
Crazy is an understatement. I cant even think of a word to describe the way that bird was acting. Maybe he got a hold of someones half drank beer bottle.LOL[laugh]
[signature]
Man, birds can get really crazy sometimes! It is good that mexican did not take him home because he would have been soup. Good Story!
[signature]
I wonder if pelican even tastes good. I dont think your allowed to hunt them. I wonder if anyone has ever eaten one?[crazy]
[signature]
good story there, and it sure is a different one. i never heard of em doin that. lesthe thought you was lunch haha crazy landin. haha good nobdy was hurt. though.there pretty good sized arent they.never seen em only in ng. we got those stupid, which tick me right off, blue herrings, stork, what ya call it here,. and there ocmin more and more. use to be when i was a kid thye were very few and fer betwixt. now there all over eatin my nice little native brook trout.out my brook. as well as the kingfisher.too bad they dont have open season on them.
[signature]
nothing personal against gods creatures but pelicans are the dumpest birds in the world everytime i see a flock fly by i allways think
" there goes a flock of stupid " LOL
[signature]
haha that,s t5he way i feel bout these herrins. they aint even got enough meat on em to eat, if there was a reason to have open territory, but these ones peta people put em as down as the extinct agenda, and its agaist the law to shoot em. so go figure, there a eatin machine cause they got to eat there weight in fish everyday. and it,s my brookies there eatin! worthless. later
[signature]