Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Kill
Fish Kills Prompt Monitoring, Investigation at Salt River Reservoirs[/url]

PHOENIX (May 21, 2004) -- ADEQ Director Steve Owens announced today that ADEQ is working with the Arizona Game and Fish Department, Arizona Department of Health Services, the Tonto National Forest, Salt River Project and the University of Arizona to assess and characterize the cause of recent fish kills that have occurred in Apache, Canyon and Saguaro Lakes.

Combined monitoring efforts by ADEQ, Arizona Game and Fish Department and the University of Arizona have confirmed the presence of potentially toxic algae within the lakes. The algae - Cylindrospermopsis raciborskii - have become dominant in Apache Lake and have been detected in other Valley reservoirs. The effects of the toxins are varied and can affect aquatic life, domestic animals, pets or humans that come into contact with the algae. The release of the toxins may occur within several hours to several days of coming into contact with the algae and can result in anything from mild stress to mortality in aquatic organisms. Symptoms in humans include mild skin irritation, nausea, vomiting or respiratory distress.

"We want to make sure that the public is fully informed about conditions at these lakes," Owens said. "People should not be overly concerned, but they should be careful to avoid contact with water in these lakes that is foamy."

ADEQ officials noted that additional samples are being taken and analyzed but to date, no toxins have been found in either the water or fish tissue. Until further notice, the public should observe the following guidance when recreating in and around the reservoirs: [ul] [li]Boaters and swimmers are advised to avoid contact with and ingestion of water in areas where the water is green-tinged or foamy. Particular attention should be given to children and pets, which may ingest large quantities of water. [li]The toxins produced by these algae do not appear to collect in fish tissue, but anglers should take a common-sense approach to eating fish caught from lakes. If the fish looks or smells unhealthy or was dead when caught, don't eat it. Fish caught should be thoroughly cleaned, gutted and cooked before eating.[/li][/ul]

This blue-green algae is a member of a group of algae that are commonly associated with summertime conditions - high temperatures, low wind, increased nutrient loadings. In Arizona, two factors may cause these early blooms - ongoing drought conditions prevent replenishing supplies of water from snowmelt and unusually high levels of nutrients brought into the lakes after the Rodeo-Chediski fire of 2002. Unlike other algae, Cylindrospermopsis does not form patches or scum on the surface, but rather forms in clumps or bands two to six feet below the surface. It generally forms in slow moving or still water and will cause the water to appear green-tinged or foamy.

For more information on the status of sampling or the fish kills contact:

Michael Murphy
Arizona Department of Health Services
(602) 542-1094

Marc Dahlberg
Arizona Game & Fish Department
(602) 789-3260

Sam Rector
Arizona Department of Environmental Quality
(602) 771-4536

Fish kill mystery at 3 lakes has scientists playing detective

Media Services
May 21, 2004

[font "Arial"]PHOENIX – Perplexing fish die-offs at three lakes along the Salt River during the past two months have scientists and others playing detective.

There was a fish die-off at Apache Lake during March, one at Canyon Lake around April 27 and the latest was in Saguaro Lake May 5. Another die off was reported at Apache Lake on May 18. Authorities are actively investigating the die-offs.

Larry Riley, the fisheries chief for the Arizona Game and Fish Department, says department biologists are working closely with scientists from other agencies, experts from Salt River Project, and university scientists to solve the mystery.

“Despite collecting lots of samples in the field and running a barrage of tests, we can’t point a finger and say, ‘this is the definite culprit.’ Just like in the detective stories, however, we do have a primary suspect we are continuing to investigate: a strain of toxic blue green algae called Cylindropsermopsis Raciborskii,” Riley says.

Cylindrospermopsis is an algae that produces two toxins called cylindrospermopsin and anatoxin-a. “Those toxins can, in the right concentrations, cause fish die-offs. This is emerging as the most likely causative factor for the fish kills. Note that I said most likely factor – I cannot provide a smoking gun, but all the pieces of this puzzle seem to be fitting together,” Riley says.

Game and Fish biologists have worked with experts at the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality at the three lakes to measure dissolved oxygen in the water, pH (acidity or alkalinity), and temperature, and have also tested for evidence of hydrogen sulfide. “We have taken field measurements from one end of these lakes to the other. We have also inspected recently dead or dying fish for evidence of disease: nothing,” Riley says.

Scientists also collected water quality samples and plankton for laboratory analysis. “The water samples are being analyzed for a broad range of contaminants, which is a very time intensive process. We’re looking for a needle in the haystack, and the needle may not exist,” Riley says.

The department has also worked closely with the U.S. Forest Service on the issue. Tonto National Forest Supervisor Karl Siderits says campgrounds are still open and there are still plenty of fish to be taken in the three lakes.
[/font]
[signature]
Wow[shocked] That's too bad about the fish. I hope they find a way to control the toxins.

Hey Eric, Did you finally move out to AZ?? if so tell us about some of your new fishing spots. How close are you to Tempe?? They have a town lake there that has Trout in the cooler months, carp, LMB, and I think there are some Yellow Bass as well.
[signature]
Got a house in Gold Canyon. Nice and close to Canyon and apache.

Some friends have been fishing Tempe town lake and doing well on the LMB,

McKellops is donig well also feeding on grey split tail yamamotos on 1/4 ounce

jig heads.
[signature]
That's good to hear. I know I have something to look forward to when I go back out there to visit my Dad. It sounds like you are a few hours away from Tempe.

I've been to Saguaro Reservoir with my Dad. We went float tubing there during Thanksgiving. He goes there quite often.
[signature]
I have actually seen your dad back at Butcher Jones the cove set back on Saguaro. I was on a boat though and being a tuber myself we did not want to get to close, the is also a bouy line restrickting boats.

I have some friends going up and tubing Chevron canyon this Sunday. The are some large trout in that lake. They use the wind to troll rapalas and spinners. They have pics of 5lb rainbows out of that place.Will let you know how they do.

If you are out there check out Waterdog Willies tackle shop in Chandler it is located on Baseline. Ron keeps boards up with all the current conditions and tackle being used on many of the lakes.

I hope to help getting some reports going on this board once I get out there and settled back in. I will be offline for about two to three months but that is not stopping the trips.
[signature]
It takes a tuber to know a tuber. That is awesome bro. My dad has too many reports of boaters using him for bouys for their little races. As well as the PWC's using him for speed bumps. Your courtesy would be welcome on any body of water. Thanks in advance for not running me over some day.

I went to Butcher Jones with my Dad. That is a good spot for tubing.

I'm going to Castaic Lagoon tomorrow if you think you could make it up this way. I'm meeting with a couple of other BFT members from out of state. Tubing would be the only way to go about fishing tomorrow since it is National Fishing Day. Everyone and their mother will be all along the banks.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Eric, good to hear you're in the area. I am on the way out...moving back to Utah by the end of July.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I experienced one of the fish kills on Saguaro on my last trip up there. As we launched our tubes in Butcher Jones we noticed lots of dead shad on the water. Later we noticed little gobs of stuff floating all over the cove, that turned out to be dead fresh water clams. The lake stunk bad.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]So did the fishing. Could not find any fish in the entire cove, and did not see one carp jump. That whole cove was a desert. We saw an occasional small blip on the sonar at about five feet deep, but nothing on the bottom and nothing around the shoreline.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I filed an online report with Rory Aikens, who does the weekly fishing reports. Didn't hear back from him but I understand several other people reported similar findings.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Hey, Eric, I more or less gave up on the Arizona board a while back. If you are interested, maybe we can make you moderator and see if we can pump some life back into the forum. Makes more sense than leaving it as it is, and I am leaving the state.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Here's a discouraging update. Shrimpboy, from the Utah board, was down last weekend and fished Saguaro near the marina on Monday. He reported that the water was covered with dead shad and that the place stunk. He also reported not getting a hit on either lures or bait in over two hours of fishing.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]It would seem that algae feeders like shad are the first to succumb, but that other fish can be adversely affected by the toxic algae too. The bigger fish seem to clear out when the water quality declines. I know I have seen a big difference in fish populations caused by minor differences in pH or oxygen levels. They are more sensitive to some conditions than we might think.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Wow it is a little discouraging to hear all this bad news about Saguaro. I like fishing that lake and it will be the closest to my house. I still have not recieved any feeback on the trip to the north from my buds but will post asap. If you do try saguaro again a suggetsion would be hitting the shore opposite the marina. Whenever we fish that lake we start at the lower damn and work our way around that shore line. Usually the wind is blowing away from it keeping it cleaner. That is the area that I usually do well for walleyes and Smallies.

I would be interested in being a moderator for the forum, I will need to get myself established first. Talk more on that later.

Hope your move goes well. maybe we can get in the water once before then.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Eric, it ain't all doom and gloom. From what I have heard elsewhere, the problem seems to be mainly in the shallower coves where the water warms fastest. Along the walls and in the upper lake, where the water comes in from Canyon, some guys have been doing pretty well on all species.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I'm sure the lake will stabilize, but it is disheartening to plan a trip in the tube and find that you are fishing a stink hole full of dead fish in the only access spot you have for tubing.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]By the way, I put your name in the hat for consideration. You will probably have some kind of contact and if you are interested you can work out a timetable and conditions.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Good luck. I think you would do well and have some fun too.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[blue][size 1]Here's a copy of the article from this morning's Arizona Republic.[/size][/blue]

[size 1] Thousands of Ariz. fish dying

[Image: clear.gif] [/size][size 1]Algae in Salt River lakes blamed

Judy Nichols
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 17, 2004 12:00 AM

Thousands of fish are dying in several lakes along the Salt River, probably because of increased algae fed by ash runoff from wildfires and warm temperatures.

And in an unrelated situation, officials are also worried about a possible die-off in San Carlos Lake, 15 miles east of Globe, because water levels are only 2.5 percent of capacity and may go even lower.

Although the dead fish in the Salt River lakes may be unsightly, the lakes do not pose a health risk for the public, health officials say.

Still, boaters and anglers should be careful, according to Will Humble, bureau chief for disease control for the state Department of Health Services.

"You should never eat dead fish, but if you catch a fish and it looks healthy, you can cook it and eat it," Humble said. "You should avoid water that looks blue-green or foamy. Don't swim or play in it. You can get an uncomfortable rash.

"And don't let your dog drink the water, or it may get sick."

Campgrounds along the Salt River reservoirs remain open, and Karl Siderits, supervisor for the Tonto National Forest, said plenty of fish remain in the lake for fishing.

The die-offs in the reservoirs were first recorded in Apache Lake in March, Canyon Lake on April 27 and Saguaro Lake on May 5, said Larry Riley, fisheries chief for the Arizona Game and Fish Department.

Another die-off was reported at Apache Lake on May 18.

Riley estimated the number of dead fish as being in the thousands. They include shad, which are feeder fish for the larger sport fish, and sport fish including largemouth bass, walleye, channel catfish and large flathead catfish.

Riley said Game and Fish biologists have been investigating the die-offs with other scientists and experts from the Salt River Project. They have tested the water and the fish for disease and found nothing.

They believe the most likely reason is a strain of toxic blue-green algae, called Cylindrospermopsis raciborskii.The algae forms in clumps or bands two to six feet below the surface in slow-moving or still water. It makes the water look green-tinged or foamy.

Riley said the algae, which feeds on nitrogen, might be increasing because of ash runoff from the "Rodeo-Chediski" and "Kinishba" fires in the area and warmer water because of record heat in March. The ash brings nitrogen into the system, and algae flourishes in warmer water.

Although the die-offs have happened over successive months in lower lakes in the Salt River chain, Riley said that may be coincidental. There have been no die-offs in Roosevelt Lake, the lake highest on the river.

Authorities aren't sure if there is a solution.

Killing the algae will release toxins and may kill more fish. Monsoon season, which typically begins in July, could bring more water and a shift in the water balance. [/size]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff][size 1]Here is a link to the latest article on the water problem in the Salt River chain of lakes...from the Phoenix paper Tuesday 6-22-04[/size][/#0000ff]

[url "http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0622algaecosts22.html"]http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0622algaecosts22.html[/url]

[blue][size 1]It appears that the problem is going to be widespread and will hang around for awhile.[/size][/blue]
[signature]