Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summit Lake
I wanted to post a small lake report for Summit Lake out in Henry county north of New Castle. I went there for the first time this past Sunday (6/9/02). I arrived at the ramp at a little after 6:00Am and there was already a line at the ramps and a 3/4 full parking lot. There are two ramps, but I assume the other was just as full. Summit is a large lake, over 2000 acres (?) and is very weedy with a plethora of prime bass habitat. I found deep areas, shallow areas and everything in between. No real structure to speak of that I found but cover galore mainily weeds and a very rocky dam area with very large aggregate. Fish were very shallow; 2-5' of water holding deep within the weeds. There is a wide variety of weeds from coon-tail, to reeds, to grass, to moss. Fishing the weeds was tough as they are very thick but if you could get a bait down in it, there were fish to be caught. I did not catch good numbers but the fish were of good quality with 5 keeper+ fish in 7 hours of fishing (one was nearly 3lbs). <br><br>
Thanks for the report. I've never been to Summit but have been considering it. How would you rate the lake? Would you go back?<br><br>
I would rate it well and yes I will definitely go back. I will definitely take a vacation day next time I go though so I can go during the week. It was very crowded and you could only fish for a short distance without running into another boat. I would say based on first impressions, it is one of the best lakes in Indiana I have been on in a while.<br><br>
Thanks, I may have to take a vacation day and head out there myself.<br><br>
Second Report:<br>Went to summit for the second time on Sat 6/15/02. The weather was cold (54F) ,overcast and windy. The water was stained to stained/muddy depending on where you were at. The bass once again were shallow on the wind blown banks in the weeds. Caught 35 bass in less than 5 hours all of quality. The sun came out at around 10:30a, the bass moved to deeper water. Unfortunately the wind kicked up too when the clouds dispersed and boat control was near impossible. All bass but 3 were 15'+ and one over 5lb. <br><br>
thats plenty big enough. I have seen monster fish come out of 3 acre ponds.

I live on a 600 acre lake and the fishing is absolutly teriffic.[cool]
[signature]