Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troll for Lake Trout?
What kind of lures can one troll for lake trout? Will the same stuff work for kokanee and rainbows?
[signature]
Let me clarify a bit. I know to troll crankbaits and flatfish, but what about:

dodgers and squids?

Spinners with sucker meat?

How about things like cowbells? If you were using something like cowbells, what lure would you put after them? Just a plain crawler?

Thanks
[signature]
Those Dick Nites I gave you won't interest Lakers, but the larger size Needlefish catch everything.

There is a spoon made in Canada called the Apex that is like a large Dick Nite and is suppose to be efective on everything? I know Cabela's sells them. That might be a good choice for lakes like Blue mesa or Williams Fork that have alot of different kinds on fish mixed together?

What colors were working on the Kokes?

Did you try bouncing a streamer or Shad Rap of the rocks?

I have heard that a size 9 or 11 Jointed Rap is a good size plug for everything off your leadcore.
[signature]
Its nice to see a friendly forum on the web...and good to see alot of intrest in Mac fishing too, I can share a few tactics that I picked up from Great Lakes trolling that have been very effective at the reservoirs you guys have been discussing lately.

spoons-use your web prowess and order flutter spoons from pro king or mauler, these can be trolled up to 3mph+ before they spin out, cant get them in town anywhere, they work everywhere

-3 way rigs, using fireline or spiderwire so you can feel bottom, with about 6' dropper and 10'leader of 14# test, about 6-8oz weight. I like a flippin stick and make sure to pump the rod every so often to trigger. If its calm, we will move slow with electric motor only and pump the rig like spoon jigging

dodgers and fly-use a red plastic rudder like on gang trolls and clip 6-8oz weight from the bottom hole, snubber off the back, and 14#-17# test 4' long or so, and fly behind that, 1.5 times the length of the dodger, this is really good on reservoirs without alot of drop offs or structure like at Twin Lakes, run fireline too and get it within a foot from the bottom, also try any white tube instead of tinsel fly

dipsy divers-are very underused for trout, and alot easier than downriggers, turn the weight and send them out to the sides also, I use the smallest ones for trout and salmon on 8# mono

planer boards work really well, look for church tackle smallest red boards, no problem with 6-8# mono and taz devils, medium rods, yellow birds are a bit too much

down riggers, work well to send down gang trolls or dodger/fly but I have a smaller boat and it is a pain to keep boat control especially when its windy so I dont mess with them too much

Jigging, fireline again, medium spinning, small swivel and 8' leader, cant ever go wrong with white tubes

don't forget Dr. Juice on everything, save the suckers[Wink]
[signature]
Welcome to BFT IronChef-
Thanks for the tips. When I get home tonight I'm going to look for some of those spoons on the web. Then I'm sure I'll have more questions, particularly about Twin Lakes as I've never fished for macks up there.
[signature]