Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Connecticutt River
This was sent to us from: Bill Kennett<br><br>Hot? It was so hot on the Connecticut River that day, the sun dropped down for a dip in the cool waters of the river. We, meaning Bob Johnston and myself, were fly fishing the upper part of the river in search of some elusive browns that are rumored to roam these waters. <br><br>Ahead, a Bald Eagle made its approach and hit the water with gusto and arose with a nice 2 to 3 lb. brown. It was beautiful; the eagle I mean; Not to mention the brown hanging from its talons. <br><br>I tossed a purple "Wooley Bugger" up ahead about 30 feet, landing a little shy of the spot where the eagle had grabbed its lunch. Bob was using a white caddis and was having as much luck as me in his quest. We did latch onto a few nice rainbows, 1 1/2 pounders. Good fighting fish. We now were approaching a nice section of river, showing some small rapids and what seemed to be an island just ahead of us. Definitely Brown country. We flipped our lines at the same time and without too much trouble, I landed a nice 3 lb Brown. <br><br>"Come to Daddy's big net", I yelled, just in time to witness a small gusher of water rise up and the largest Brown ever seen came out of nowhere to gobble that white caddis of Bob's. <br><br>"WoW!, Look at this!", he yelled, "I got your fish's daddy!"<br><br>I grabbed the net and proceeded to help land this remarkable speciman. I missed the trout as it swirled by me and headed upstream, much to Bob's delight. The reel was singing and line was running. We were both fishing with 2 1/2 lb leader and you really had to play these browns or sit wishin' you had. <br><br>From out of nowhere, a shadow loomed and as soon as we realized what it was, a battle on the surface erupted as the Eagle grabbed the brown. <br><br>"Snap your line, Bob," I hollared, " and almost immediately there was nothing but silence as the leader let go and only the fading swishing of wings could be heard as Bob's lunch went flying away.<br><br>"Well Bob, now you can tell the story of the one that got away from you, by flying away!"<br><br>Bob and I reminice many times about that day in New Hampshire. A beautiful story for a beautiful state.<br><br>