Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 6/18 - 19 overnighter
Shrimpboy and I did an overnighter last night at Strawberry. We were hoping to not get hit by lighting -- and fortunately, the lightning stayed way to the north of us. BLM, did you have it at your house? We caught a few, lost a few, and had a good time. Nothing huge, probably the largest was about 19 inches. All cutts, but one rainbow. Perhaps something else would have worked, but we both stuck with red shiners and small chubs. Shrimpboy had the advantage by having a float with a battery in it. That glowing red light was a definite plus. I had a float that was labeled "glow", and when one could see it, which wasn't often it looked sort of like a planet, which looked cool, but I would have traded it in a second for the one that looked like a lighthouse. We still fished in the evening and into the night, and trolled this morning. I had a commitment, so we were off of the water by about 9:45 AM. I tried TudeDude's suggestion of using a trailing red stinger hook while trolling, and it worked great. Wished I would have tried it a week earlier while fishing with newbie, and he could have reeled in about three times as many fish. Oh well, live and learn. When we left the Soldier Creek ramp there was a school of large cutts, in about five feet of water only about 20 feet straight off of the boat ramp. I guess they were dining on minnows after their spawn. Strange to see them there with all of that boat traffic.
[signature]
Thanks again for a good time!

I weighed that rainbow on the digital scale when I got home and even after being out of the water for 12 hours, it still weighed 3.1 lbs. When I cleaned it, I noticed that its stomach was extremely full.....I'm talking ready to explode. I cut it open and two crawdads and two shiners fell out. I specifically remember catching it on a chub, so that thing was out there gorging itself.
[signature]
Kent,

I recently bought some red hooks with the intention to try them while trolling. I was wondering how you rigged them? If you were using minnows or worms did you hook the trailer into the bait or was it free? How far back from the first hook was the trailing hook?

John
[signature]
Where you guys in a small house boat with a green top (i think) ancored in the narrows last night?
[signature]
I tied it to the bend on the lead hook. I left it free and it trailed the minnow by about 2 inches. I intended for it to be about even with the end of the tail of the minnow, but it ended up longer and worked great.
[signature]
Not us.
[signature]