Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SoCal Castaic Lagoon Tubing Report 6/20/04
We (TubeNtoo, his friend Johnny and I) arrived at Castaic Lagoon at 2:30am. We fished from the fishing dock until the lake opened at 5:30am. The air temp was a cool 78 degrees, water temp was around 72.

We were able to instruct Johnny about filling the tube with air, life jackets, not snagging the tube with a hook or getting spined by the fish and some of the other basics about tubing. We hit the water by 6:00am.

We were all getting thumps and bumps on our lines but there were no serious takers of any kind for the day. It had seemed like the LMB had taken the day off for Fathers Day.

We kicked around nearly half of the lake in 4 1/2 hours. It was quite a start for Johnny who was really enjoying the difference between bank fishing and float tubing.

We shared the lake with 7 other tubers, 4 Yaks and 4 bass boats. Although nothing was caught, a new tuber was born.

We left the lake around 11:00 to move on to another area.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]It's a good thing that you can't be busted for contributing to the delinquency of a tuber. I woulda been jailed a long time ago.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Glad the new recruit had a good time and eventually got to stretch his string at Hansen.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]

Hi there TubeN2,

Nice to hear the TubeN2 squadron or floatilla is growing. Some day we may be able to re-enact D-day.... only with float tubes. New tubers are like gold.

On the Lagoon... I have gotten a larger scaled, color topo of Castiac Lake and surroundings from the net. It still is not detailed enough and the color distracts from the detail.

Do you happen to have a line, topo showing the 'bottom' contours of the lagoon. I went to the Army Corps of Engineers, etc., etc. and I can find nothing.... well FREE anyways!

I ain't givin' up and search today too but I was wondering if you might have gotten your hands on one? In desperation, I'll try the library too.

JapanRon
[signature]
Try a local university library. They often have extensive topos from different time periods, e.g., before a reservoir was filled. The problem comes in copying them.

Have you tried [url "http://www.topozone.com"]www.topozone.com[/url]? They don't give you underwater contours, but the area surrounding the lake has some good detail.
[signature]
I have one of those popular lake maps that is water proof and shows depths, topography and contour for the upper lake and the Lagoon. It is pretty close to accurate although I've found a couple of discrepencies in it.

Their map shows a total depth of 72 feet for the Lagoon. And their graduation lines show that there are shelves all around. I have found that in the middle of the lake throughout the whole length, that it is only 70 feet(could be my depth reader on my fish finder) but their maps make no mention of the 95 foot depth at the rocky base of the dam.

I realize that it is only natural that the base of a dam will have some kind of holding pool for the fish in the even that they need to drain the lake for maintenance or other work. Most maps will show this detail.

There are a couple of website that I ran across in the past that have lake maps for the whole US. They do require a subscription though. I will try to find another site that is a little more pocketbook friendly and is actually there to help the public.
[signature]
heyy wasup steve i had a great time tubing for the first time. we should do it more often......
[signature]

Hi there EmuScud,

Yep I sure did! I really shouldn't complain but it really bugs me when one has to download a reader program for some sort of graphical data. You'd think they'd put it a few different formats but......... what should you expect for free anyways...... right! ha ha ha

That is about the first result on google that I got and it is an excellent source.

Thanks for the suggestion. I got sneaky and tried some other location specific searches but didn't find the pot of gold.

JapanRon
[signature]

Thanks TubeN2,

Appreciate knowing there is such a map. I saw a series of maps being sold at a tackle store a couple of years ago and I'll yours is one of those.

The truth be told, even though we get a good topo and can read it expertly...only experience such as yours will truly confirm just where the fish hang and travel.

I'm pretty happy with just what you've shared....after that it good ol' elbow gease! ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
A little elbow grease and lots of knee grease to kick around with in the tube. ha ha.
[signature]
He TuBemPhO, That was fun that day. You did get a little more experience for a first day than most people do. Between the 2 lakes, you put about 6hrs on your tube. Yeeeee haaaaa.[cool]
[signature]