Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
using two 12 batteries
Need some advice.

I bought an extra 12V deep cycle battery to extend my range with my electric trolling motor-only boat. My question is, should I keep the batteries completely separate, or should I wire them together to act as one large battery? I understand how to do that (positive to positive, negative to negative), but am not sure which is the best approach. I can see one good reason to keep them separate: They won't both run out of juice at the same time.

Keep in mind this is for a 12V trolling motor, not 24Volt.

Thanks
If you conect the two battries together with out placing a voltage regularer to reduce the voltage to twelve volts you will burn out your motor.

good thing you asked.
[signature]
Dave,

I checked some online sites regarding hooking up multiple batteries for boats and RVs. No one mentioned a voltage regulator being necessary. Maybe one is - I won't take any chances - but I wonder why none of the sites I visited mentioned it.

I realize that there are two ways to connect batteries to one another. One way will result in a 24 volt current, and the other will result in a 12 volt current. Why would the 12 volt connection system need a regulator?

[reply]
I have never seen any one hooking them up parrell before, only in line. what I would do is hook up the batties in the parrell position and take a voltage meater and check both the volts and the amprage comming off the combined setup.

if your amprage is to high you can again burn out your system just as easly as your voltage being to high.

chances are good the reason you havent seen any thing of voltage regulaters is because no one realy dose it. other than to jump start their motors should the battery get two low. again I realy dont know much about parrell hook ups. the meter test will give all the info you need.
[signature]